Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 compared with 9.04

9.1 compared with 9.04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2001, 12:02 AM

I am about to install 9.1 in place of 9.04 on my G3powerbook. I have seen some comments on the forum about 9.1 being slower than 9.04. How much agreement is there among users of the two operating systems as to their relative speed?

Jul 31, 2001, 01:29 AM

I found 9.1 to be a lot faster and more stable than 9.0.4. Of course I had to upgrade to 9.1 because I'm running X.

Rev A iBook, 300 MHz, 160 MB RAM

Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2001, 01:43 AM

I find 9.1 a bit faster. Not much though.
Later
Chuck

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2001, 01:44 AM

IMHO, I like 9.1 better.

If you'd like a different P.O.V. talk with Cipher13. I'm sure he'll see this thread soon enough. And please Cipher, tell us why 9.0.4 is better than 9.1. BTW, I'm not asking that as a dick either.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2001, 12:33 PM

I didn't have any big complaints about 9.1 while I was running it. It seemed stable and I didn't notice any real speed hits. My only complaint was that frame rates on some games dropped to unacceptable levels. Some people suggested that if I would have reinstalled the game, the frame rates would have come back up. Since I had already spent quite a bit of time winning money and upgrading my truck, I didn't want to take the chance of losing it all and having to start over from scratch.

I still have the 9.1 upgrade file on my hard drive. When 9.2 comes out, I'll jump to 9.1 and then to 9.2 to see what happens. ALWAYS remember to do a full back-up before upgrading. You never know if you'll want to go back.

LOUDpedal
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2001, 07:55 AM

Yeah yeah

OS 9.1 is a quick hack.

The full CD version is nice - but the UPGRADE is absolutely awful.

My system under 9.04 was as stable as anything out there, if not more so. After upgrading, I had constant system crashes, hard freezing, and there was a minimal slowdown.

The updater also caused drive corruption routinely. This is evident on may peoples systems.

After downgrading all of these problems went away.

My advice:

If you have 9.04, stick with it.
AVOID the updater like the plague.
If you have a full CD install, ok, fine, do it, but I still prefer 9.04.

One thing I liked about 9.1 is how it recognised the OSX packages and you could right click and "show package contents" - though thats not necessary in 9.04 (they're just folders).

Save yourself the trouble unless you wanna use Classic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules