Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 2 different OSes on HD?

2 different OSes on HD?
Mar 24, 2001, 12:51 AM

Hi there.
First of all, I wasn't sure if this question should be on this forum but somewhere else, but I'd really appreciate if someone could answer this question for me.

I have a G3 powerbook running OS 9.1(US version), and am wondering if there's any way I could have both US version of OS and a foreign version of Mac OS(Japanese OS in my case) coexist on my Harddrive and boot my mac with whichever OS I need depending on the situation?

I heard that OS X and OS 9.1 can coexist and either one can be booted without problem according to your need.

I don't think what i'm tryin to do is quite doable, but hoping somebody in the know will give me some tips if any.

I have one mo question.
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to use english fonts on HD if I install a Japanese version OS on my mac(english version).
I understand that japanese fonts are 2bit, while English fonts are one bit... Will this possibly keep me from using English fonts on a mac running japanese OS? Hopefully i didn' confuse anybody. I'm already!

Thanks.
I

Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2001, 03:57 AM

You sure can. You need to partition your HD though, which involves erasing it.
Well, you don't NEED to but should.
I THINK, you could keep two System Folders in the same root directory, and rename one, and it should still be bootable...
Try that.
If not, partitioning is the way to go.
To switch between them, use the System Disk control panel, or the "option key at startup" OpenBoot trick.

Hm... not sure about your fonts...

Cipher13

Mar 24, 2001, 04:32 PM

Thanks a lot, Cipher13.
Great to know it's doable. I think I'll try either way u suggested and see what happens. Hopefully, it wont' b too complicated.
Thanks again.

Mar 25, 2001, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the tips, Cypher.
Could you or anybody out there tell me where I can get detailed instruction of having 2 OSes run, patition the drive,etc?

Thanks a lot.

Senior User
Mar 25, 2001, 04:49 AM

hi hoopla2000:

maybe check out my 'operation clean sweep' post: it might help.

posthumanus.

Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2001, 06:57 AM

What exactly do you want to know?

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules