Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerBook G4 Extensions Trouble?

PowerBook G4 Extensions Trouble?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 12:13 PM

I received my PowerBook G4 just a few days ago and I have been having extension problems. After loading my software (which consists mostly of web and graphics apps), the PowerBook would not start up the control strip when the machine started up. I could, however, start the strip up myself in the control panels. Eventually after a few sleeps and wake ups, the PowerBook could not use AirPort. So I restarted. This time when I went to the control panels to start up the control strip, it told me it could not be started up. I went to the AppleTalk control panel and it would not open. It said AppleTalk could not be opened because “OTGlobalLib” could not be found. It gave me the same message when I tried to open TCP/IP. I tried finding a conflicting extension by restarting with different sets, but I was unsuccessful.

I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled MacOS 9.1. I reinstalled my software and everything worked fine for two days. Now, I have the same senerio as above again. Can anyone help me solve this problem? I really love my PowerBook, but I don’t want to spend every couple of says reinstalling everything.

Thanks for you help!

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2001, 11:08 PM

I had a similar problem some time ago. I beliveve it came from uninstalling. Have you uninstalled anything? My problem was that the finder couldn't locate a file, a LIB or library file like you. I believe the system and the third party software(not exacty sure which program) were sharing a library and when I uninstalled the program it took out the shared fie.I also had to do a clean install and have been fine since.
Hope that helps
Chuck

G4 mp450 0S 9.0.4
Later
Chuck

Forum Links
Forum Rules