Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes Library

iTunes Library
Mar 25, 2001, 12:29 PM

I put a disk into the iTines library and import a song.

Then I put a copy into a playlist.

Then I delete the song from the lirary.

Oops! Now it is gone from the playlist!!!!

All I want to do is simplify the library. Have I got the wrong idea?

Sincerely,
Dr. Ledgard

Senior User
Mar 25, 2001, 11:32 PM

You've got the wrong idea. iTunes playlists can only contain songs listed in the master library. Your master library is a list of all the songs you want iTunes to have access to. It cannot access any other MP3's.

If you want a simplified library, you need to create a playlist, and call it "Simplified Library". Put all the relevant songs in there, and you're set.

If you're trying to "hide" certain tracks from obvious view, I'm afraid iTunes won't help you there. Your only option is to remove them from the library -- and all playlists. When you want to play them, drag them onto the library, then onto a playlist if you want to exclude all other tracks, and play them.

If you don't care what tracks iTunes lists in the library window, and only want to play certain tracks directly from the library window, just use the check boxes on the left column to turn tracks on and off.
n+N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2001, 12:45 AM

how do you update the Itunes libray. I am downloading from napster, and they are showing up so I have to go and import song by song any little hint to scan the whole HD again?

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2001, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
how do you update the Itunes libray. I am downloading from napster, and they are showing up so I have to go and import song by song any little hint to scan the whole HD again?

Because iTunes doesn't have a "live" updated mp3 folder (like Winamp or other Windoze mp3 apps have, unfortunately, for now at least, it looks as if you have to import them one by one, or drag & drop 'em into iTunes.

--
Stephen Bolen
http://www.inebriated.org/
e: stephenbolen@mac.com

Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Bluebeat79:
Because iTunes doesn't have a "live" updated mp3 folder (like Winamp or other Windoze mp3 apps have, unfortunately, for now at least, it looks as if you have to import them one by one, or drag & drop 'em into iTunes.
Drag and drop is the key. iTunes will not display the same track in the library twice, so you can just drop an entire folder, hard drive or CD onto the library window and iTunes will add just the new files. I don't see why this is so hard, and you certainly don't have to import tracks one by one.
n+N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2001, 06:39 AM

Thanks didn't know this fact it really helps when I grab a song or two off of napster.

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2001, 10:23 AM

is it possible to totally rebuild the library?
-c
-c

Forum Links
Forum Rules