Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 quirks

9.1 quirks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2001, 12:58 PM

After much deliberation (I was totally happy with 9.04) I just upgraded to 9.1, mostly to take advantage of iTunes burning/Authoring Support Updates etc.

Now, my machine is seriously lagging--on start up it's deliriously slow; iTunes takes forever to start up; even Explorer seems to be slower, as well as less stable.

To top it off, I can't install the Authoring Support Update. When I try, the error message says that iTunes must be installed first, which, of course, it is.

So, at the end of the day, I still can't burn with my new Iomega Predator USB CD-RW using iTunes. And when I do with Toast, I make coaster after coaster...

Any ideas?

-Q-
Aug 13, 2001, 04:01 PM

Toast and iTunes burning don't really seem to like each other very much. This was supposed to be corrected in a Toast update, but I don't know that it has.

What kind of machine are you running? Have you zapped the PRAM? Did you do a clean install of 9.1 or did you just upgrade to it from 9.0.4?

Give some more details and maybe we can solve this quandry...

Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 09:37 PM

Q is right. The way things are now, you basically have to make a decision to use either Toast or iTunes/discburner, but not both. You'll have to go into the extensions manager and make sure the Toast extensions are disabled and the Apple Authoring support/discburner extensions enabled or vice versa. As for the Authoring support error message, try reinstalling iTunes fresh.

As for your slow running 9.1, try doing a Norton disk scan (if you have it) followed by a defrag. Also rebuild your desktop to make sure everything is in tip-top shape.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Randycat2001 ]
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2001, 10:43 PM

If you install Toast 5.01 after you install Disc Burner, the Toast update solves the problem by moving the conflict-causing extensions to the disabled file. Not a great solution, but at least you can use Toast.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Forum Links
Forum Rules