Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Wanadoo WHAT? Head scratcher

Wanadoo WHAT? Head scratcher
Senior User
Aug 14, 2001, 08:07 PM

Dear All,

I have a head scratcher to ask about. It might be nothing but I have to ask.
Today I noticed upon opening my files that all my simple text files have the "kind" label replaced from "simple text" to " wanadoo". Does any one know why this has happened? Even new test simple text files when created are now call "wanadoo" w.r.t the kind of file.
I had a look using Sherlock for other files of this kind and i find two others in my PPP connect scripts folder in the Extensions. I'm running OS 9.04 on a PBG3FW and the only things I have done recently to my Pismo is install the drivers for the MS Intellimouse Explorer and update to QT5 today.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm worried that it might be a virus or something.

Many thanks,
DNA Man

Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 01:42 AM

The kind label for each type of document is determined by the "kind" resource inside the matching application. If the application does not have a "kind" resource, or if the "kind" resource does not have an entry for that file type, you get something like "SimpleText document." You need to drag over a fresh copy of the file.

(69)

DNA man  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2001, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by AppleScript:
<STRONG>The kind label for each type of document is determined by the "kind" resource inside the matching application. If the application does not have a "kind" resource, or if the "kind" resource does not have an entry for that file type, you get something like "SimpleText document." You need to drag over a fresh copy of the file.

(69)</STRONG>
Thanks, AppleScript. I now find that my Finder is quitting upon start-up and my Mac tells me to re-start. This only has started to happen since I installed the MS mouse. Why do you think this is?

Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2001, 10:07 AM

Try booting with your extensions off (shift at startup). If the problem goes away, its an extension.

Holding the space bar at startup will allow you to disable the mouse extension via the Extensions Manager; do this and see if the problem goes away.

I suggest deleting the mouse driver and using USB Overdrive - its better, IMO.

Before all that try trashing your Finder Preferences and System Preferences (a PRAM zap [Apple-Option-P-R at startup, let go after the third chime] woudln't hurt either).

You MAY (however unlikely) need to replace the System and Finder, but lets take things one step at a time...

Forum Links
Forum Rules