Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 and Norton AntiVirus5

OS9 and Norton AntiVirus5
cwp55
Nov 13, 1999, 10:35 AM

My iMac DV and OS9 hates Norton AntiVirus 5. The auto-check extension, which launches first, freezes my machine every time. I tried to upgrade to NAV 6, but that didn't help. Does anybody have any suggestions, or was I just a fool for buying the software?

Professional Poster
Nov 13, 1999, 11:03 AM

Hey, sometimes life's a crapshoot... you are not a fool for buying the NAV.

But it seems that the various utilities that use background processes (like Norton Filesaver and Crashguard, Virex, NAV, etc) have one common thread: their background processes do not work well and make Macs unstable.

Disable the auto-defect, er, I mean auto-detect (or whatever name it has) extension. Use NAV in a more 'manual' fashion, after all you have a Mac and are at less risk of infection.

And be firm with Symantec, email/call them about this very widespread problem with that extension.

(I use Virex 6.0 with the Virex Scheduler extension DISabled, am running MacOS 8.6, no problems but will soon be using that MacOS 9 CD I've had for awhile now and we shall see what Virex 6.0 does then)

and, please check this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum2/HTML/000193.html

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 11-13-1999).]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 1999, 04:40 PM

I use Mac OS 9 and NAV 6 on my 8600/300 (128MB RAM with 256MB VM on) with no problems. I also have Norton Utilities 5 installed. Both NAV and NUM were installed with the "Easy Install" option and all of the standard feature were enabled. My system is perfectly stable...

I have a fair number of system extensions also enabled, but all are verified Mac OS 9-compatible versions.

Perhaps you are experiencing a conflict between NAV and something else?

- Daryl
Dual 2.5GHz G5, 2.0GB RAM, 250+300 SATA HDDs and 200+160GB Firewire HDDs, Radeon 9800XT, Bluetooth.

pmacleod
Nov 15, 1999, 07:44 AM

Try dragging the Auto-Protect extension out of the extensions folder and into the top level of the system folder. This will make it load last, which it seems to like better.

Also, make sure you have ran the v5.0.3 patcher over it as well. Any v5.0.x before that really sucked....

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 1999, 01:40 PM

You probably read this in Mac OS 9 Report, but you need NAV 6 for OS 9.

The NAV 6 installer sometimes fails and makes it necessary to manually install. Or manually remove all of NAV 5, Auto-Protect and Norton Antivirus Additions.

George T
Nov 24, 1999, 10:52 AM

Gregory is right - When you upgrade from NAV 5 to 6 you must manually remove all files associated with NAV 5 or you will most likely have problems.

Remove Nav Program files, alias in Control panels, all NAV files in Extensions, and NAV files in Preferences; then load NAV 6 and it works great.

tompkins
Nov 26, 1999, 03:27 AM

You need to upgrade to Norton Anti-Virus 6.01 for OS9. An updater from 6.0 is on the Symantec website. 6.01 works great on my iMac DV as do Norton Utilities 5.02. I recommend them to all OS9 users.

------------------
Jerry

spyderjohn
Nov 27, 1999, 11:42 AM

I'm here to say that the Virex v6.0 Scheduler extension does in fact cause bus errors on boot in OS9 on my 400mHz Lombard. Don't know of an update yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules