Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 and USB audio with DAT Port

OS 9 and USB audio with DAT Port
Serotonin
Nov 13, 1999, 08:40 PM

There has been alot of talk in the last week about the demise of Opcode, which is really a shame. I still have a DAT Port that I bought for a mac, but it has a no apparent compatibility yet for anything except Windows 98. Otherwise I have been waiting for OS 9 since I bought it, with the understanding that OS 9 enables isyncrhonous USB audio. Opcode doesn't have any news about compatibility, does anybody have any tales about this?

Serotonin
Jul 6, 2000, 12:12 PM

Well I could solve my own problem with my new G4. It works, but not as well as it should. I have 9.04 and the multimedia update, I don't know if these are required for this to work or not, but I can get digital audio into the mac provided I don't try to play through the audio; this definitely isn't duplex. In fact Final Cut Pro crashes hard if I leave the "play audio through in duplex mode" option checked. Other applications seem to respect the options set by the Sound Control Panel, which will also let you check a play through option but then sound won't work at all if you do.

So, in other words there is no way to listen through the computer when capturing digital audio this way, you have to just watch the level meters and listen to audio through your source device somehow.

Markus@usb-audio.com
Jul 20, 2000, 06:56 PM

Our ASIO driver supports DATport, but doesn't solve a (hardware) crackle problem on output which occures on some Macs.
You still need a Win98 machine to change the settings - but they remain because they are flashed.
http://www.usb-audio.com

Markus@usb-audio.com
Aug 5, 2000, 12:23 PM

Here's the configuration software for the Mac:
http://www.multimania.com/gorouben/sonic/

Forum Links
Forum Rules