Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > sslow boot problem

sslow boot problem
ProfDave
Nov 19, 1999, 02:38 AM

I have OS9 on a new iMac DV. I have noticed very slow start ups. It gets really slow (in fact freezes for about 40 seconds, when most of the DT is loaded expect for the control strip. It just takes a long time.

I have trashed energy save preferences to no avail, rebuilt desktop, zapped pram. I have 192 RAM w/o Vm
Any suggestions?

Nov 19, 1999, 11:02 AM

You said it stops at loading the control strip? The control panel may be corropted. Did you run through Disk First Aid. I'm sure that won't find anything wrong buy it's always worth a try. Do you have Norton? Try installing a fresh copy of the Control Panel. Disable any Control Strip Modules you don't need and maybe install fresh copies of everything you do. That's all I could think of at the time.
Willie

Michael Orticari
Nov 29, 1999, 10:13 AM

Yeah, that same 40 second or so freeze is happening to me too, but I think the culprit is all the "Action Utilities" loading up.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 1999, 10:51 AM

I also encountered very slow boot times and also very slow response times once the iMac booted up. Because of this I reinstalled 8.6 and I am waiting for a resolution of this before I switch back to OS9.

My iMac is a DV with 64mg. I didn't do a clean install. If anyone thinks a clean install may help let me know and I will try it.
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 1999, 12:17 PM

If your on network, make sure the your DNS servers, and DHCP is set up correctly

------------------
-See Yea!

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 1999, 12:33 PM

Mine is a stand alone home computer and I still get the slow boot times.
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

fleshhorn
Nov 29, 1999, 01:14 PM

In general, I have seen OS 9 upgraded machines behave more poorly than machines with a clean OS. No startup probs on any machines I use. my two cents

ProfDave
Nov 29, 1999, 04:22 PM

Well, I find your replies interesting. I did a clean install of OS 9, and I mean clean (reinitialized HD etc). That seemed to take care of it. I did a clean install the first time but something went wrong. It seemed like it was looking for something once it hit the desktop; my start up disk and networks were set okay so wouldn't be looking for those.

BTW: I have linked some problems to Applescript, which doesn't seem to want to load many times in OS 9. Anyway, it waits for Applescript to do its thing like check mail and that is where the hang up is sometimes (not all the time). (There are two Applescript extensions in the syetm folder. Does anyone know the difference?)

Now, things seem to be working great, though that darn control strip keeps diappearing. I think (from a post above) that there is something going on there.

Thanks

dave s

[This message has been edited by ProfDave (edited 11-29-1999).]

Nov 29, 1999, 06:02 PM

Querying the insanely obvious and certainly not wanting to insult your intelligence. Did you check to see that your hard drive is in fact chosen as the start up disk? A sometimes overlooked issue that will slow down and even prevent a successful boot.

I'm reminded of an old medical school axiom... "When you hear hoofbeats think horses, and not zebras... " Reminding us all in diagnostics to look for the simple and move guardedly toward the more complex ;=)

Good luck

------------------

ProfDave
Nov 29, 1999, 06:19 PM

As I said above, yes, I did check this first since it seemed like it was looking for something. Thought I made this obvious in my second post.

P7A77
Dec 9, 1999, 10:49 AM

And besides, he said the lag was at the desktiop.... which mine is, too. Under 8.6 I would get a serious lag after the harddrive icon showed up, but nothing else (menu bar, icons, etc). Now I get all my icons and menu bar, and can move the mouse, but nothing happens for a good ten seconds or so. I think it might be the new DSL modem I installed, though. Really not a problem, just a minor annoyance from time to time. Next time I restart I'll see if it happens at the same place you mentioned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules