Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Power Computing clones

Power Computing clones
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2000, 01:31 PM

I have to do some work on a Power Computing clone, and I have never worked on anything but genuine Apple products. I have 3 questions:

1. How do you zap the PRAM on one of these? Is it still C+O+P+R
2. Is the desktop rebuilt the same way?
3. Can I install MacOS 8.5/8.6 or even 9 on a clone, or do they only work on genuine Apple hardware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
andy_pastuszak@yahoo.com
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Tom Rymes
Oct 18, 2000, 03:07 PM

For the clones, just about everything is identical to the Apple machines. The only differences I can think of are the CD-ROM drivers and the Video cards. (some)

Zapping PRAM and rebuilding desktop are the same.

Tom Rymes
Oct 18, 2000, 03:14 PM

Accidentally posted that last message before completion.

You can install 9.0.4 on the clones (mine is a PTPro 225 with G3 upgrade). It worked fine for me, but I prefer 8.6. IMHO, that is the best release of the MacOS. I found it more stable than OS9, and the only new feature I miss is the auto update feature. (which I can live without).

BTW, why is it that Microsoft could make windowsupdate.com work with both win95 and win98 and NT 4.0 and win2k, but Apple makes it so that you can only use their automatic update feature with OS9? Sounds like they are trying to make it inconvenient to use the older version....(big surprise)

Tom

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2000, 11:12 AM

For answers to more powercomputing questions than you'd ever want to ask, hit www.powerwatch.com. Their message boards are just chock full of info for every pcc model in the book, as well as some that never hit the street; even the theoried clone powerbook that was in the works. Ah the clones, those were heady days...
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules