Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Need advise on getting new machine

Need advise on getting new machine
ideaman
Oct 18, 2000, 11:46 PM

Hey, I need your advice.
Here's my problem. I currently own a PB G3, the very first one also known as 3500. As
soon I as I got it I had to upgrade the RAM to 96MB (couldn't afford the 128MB chip).
This was a pricey computer, and up to now it's been working well. I also have a lime
iMac/266 with 196MB RAM in the house. I'm off to college pretty soon and I've been
battling over the whole "new computer" issue. I love my Powerbook, but I just feel a little
weird. The screen isn't too big, and the keyboard isn't too comfy. I have a couple of options
for when I go to college. a) I can take my powerbook with me b) buy a new latop, and c)
get a desktop (i won't mention the d) get a PC). If I take my 3500 I was thinking of getting
a cardbus USB adapter to actually get a CD burner, or some other peripheral that I could
use in the future. But for that I'd have to ship my computer all the way across the US to this
company that would adjust my PCMCI ports to take the card, costing me a total of 200
bucks + shipping. This machine is pretty fast, it sure beats the hell out of my boss's
PB520, but I feel prehistoric without at least 1 USB port.
My second choice, the laptop, is another problem. My dad wants me to get a Powerbook,
but the way they haven't upgraded the design in a while and the really high cost for the
400Mhz with 128 ram is too much. I was happy when the new firewire iBooks came out.
The problem is that I've been reading reviews about them being slower despite the faster
processor. And to get an iBook with a burner, more memory, zip, etc etc costs just as much
as a PB.
Finally, I'm sick and tired of the tight keys and small keyboard. I think I want a desktop.
the Powermac is out of my pricerange. I like the iMac, but I want something that can really
handle my web design, gaming, etc etc. I thought about the cube and a 17" display and
some much needed external gadgets, but then the price is just as high as a Powermac.
AHHH!!!!!
What do you think I should do? Wait for new PBG4? See if the Cube price drops, or
what? I have until december to make this choice. THank you for your time,
J Obieta

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2000, 02:27 AM

It's too bad you only have until december... I believe MacWorld SanFransisco is in January and it is the most probable release date for the Mercury G4 powerbook. If you can wait, wait.

I don't really think the iBook speed has dropped. This was just a benchmark issue because of the way the iBook handles its cache and the current benchmark programs couldn't see it. I think my Key Lime 466 is a lot faster than the older iBook SE graphite I borrowed from someone over the summer...

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2000, 11:21 AM

With some searching, you can find a Sawtooth G4 for about $1200. I think outpost.com has some machines like this now. These have smaller hds than the latest models, but not much else has changed. Of course, they'll ship with the old keyboard and puck, too.

If you aren't in any specific hurry to buy the machine, then take your sweet time. When the UMA-2s come out, I'm sure Sawtooth machines will drop in price again. When it comes time to buy, do your shopping at dealnn.com, dealmac.com, and macbuy.com, and put your money down. Have fun!
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules