Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Powercenter 132 won't recognize CD-ROM

Powercenter 132 won't recognize CD-ROM
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2000, 09:51 AM

Hello all!

Iam in the middle of rebuilding a PowerCenter 132 with MacOS 8.6. I booted off of a MacOS 8.5 CD, wiped the machine clean, and installed 8.5 and rebooted. I then installed the 8.6 update and the @Home software and rebooted again. Now my CD-ROM just doesn't want to work. Apple System Profiler sees the CD-ROM, but says there is no media in it. Sometimes it tells me the media is not mounted. Anyone know what's going on here? I tried putting the 8.5 CD-ROM driver back and even used one from the 9.04 installer and none of them will work.

Any help would be wonderfully appreciated.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
andy_pastuszak@yahoo.com
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2000, 11:19 AM

I've had a lot of problems with cd drives and Powercenters. Well, okay, there's only been one Powercenter, but plenty o' probs. I'd advise trying to use the FWB cdrom toolkit. I like it a lot less, but that's the only way I've gotten some drives to work. Couldn't get an Apple 2x drive to work at all. If Apple drivers don't work, I'd go 3rd party.. :/
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2000, 12:12 PM

Newest odd symptom that I have is that if I leave the MacOS 9.0.4 CD-ROM in the drive and then boot, the CD-ROM works just fine, If I boot with another CD or none at all, I can't get the CD-ROM to work!

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
andy_pastuszak@yahoo.com
Andy Pastuszak

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2000, 10:12 PM

FWB CD-ROM toolkit cured all my ills. Thanks for the advice.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
andy_pastuszak@yahoo.com
Andy Pastuszak

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2000, 11:47 PM

Excellent. It makes trying to use the Apple cd player a pain, but if you use Audion or Soundjam, you'd hardly notice the difference. Hey, I'm just impressed your pcc cdrom's lasted this long. Mine lasted a year, almost exactly, and then kicked over.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

serranot
Oct 27, 2000, 11:25 AM

I just installed an Apple 1200i into my Powerbase 180 'cuz my original drive has been on the fritz for some time. Used the Apple driver (OS8.6) instead of FWB. Everything bolted up with no mods and the drive is now bootable off the Apple OS CDs.

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules