Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ATi 3D Charger in a SuperMac?

ATi 3D Charger in a SuperMac?
PaulCesarini
Oct 24, 2000, 09:31 AM

My folks have my old Supermac c500/200, and it's always served them well. However, the 1mb of vram is a killer. I'd like to get them a cheapo PCI video card, with at least 4mb of vram, so they can get more than 256 color on their 17" monitor. I've found several 4mb ATi 3D Charger PCI cards for around $24, and was thinking that would fit the bill well. Would this card even work on a Mac? They have Mac OS 8.6 installed, along with whatever universal ATi drivers that came with the OS.

The Wolfe
Nov 1, 2000, 06:20 PM

I have an IXmicro 8MB Ultimate Rez card in my UMAX C500, and it works very well. You can find these cards in OEM form cheap at http://www.macresq.com

The 2MB version would allow you 16-bit color at pretty good resolutoins on your 17" display.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Nov 2, 2000, 11:08 AM

I have a ATI Xclaim VR 4MB (plus a 4MB upgrade) in my C600. I can get millions of colors at 1024*768. That's all my monitor supports now but i think i can get more out of it. 1182*900 somethin' at thousands. It works wonderfully, just don't try anything that requires OpenGL cause it's hella slow. Good luck. Should be about 60-80 i think.

------------------
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules