Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New HD in 7200/75

New HD in 7200/75
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2000, 08:13 PM

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect in the way of an improvement performance-wise upon installing a 5400 or 7200 rpm IDE66 Hard drive and an IDE66 controller card in a PM 7200/75 with 96 MB of RAM? I know that on my B&W G3, just installing a 7200 rpm drive on the existing ATA-33 bus made for a huge performance boost, but don't know what I should expect on a much older machine without native ATA support. Will the performance improvements be negated by the slower processor speed, PCI bus speed, RAM speed, etc., or will I still really notice the improvement? Will there be a huge benefit in the 7200 rpm drive over a 5400 rpm one?

Any experience in this area would be great. Thanks a lot.
Cheers!

The Wolfe
Oct 24, 2000, 11:17 PM

My suggestion would be to not do this.

The 75MHz 601 is slow........ I owned one of these for a while and I hated using it. Putting a newer SCSI drive (50-pin Narrow) into the second drive bay would be a better option that spending a lot more money on an ATA drive and controller. Older SCSI drives aren’t as prohibitively expensive as some people would like to think. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com and check out the prices.

I would put any money you plan on using to upgrade your 7200 toward getting a newer/better machine. Remember, the 7200 works fine with many version of Linux and BSD...

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

naepstn  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2000, 02:39 AM

Thanks for the reply.

It's not my machine, but I'm the one asked to recommend something — I have a machine that I'm currently more than happy with. Not to mention, the rightful owners of the machine are not about to delve into Linux, BSD or even OSX anytime soon.

While I see your point, that was the exact reason I was thinking of doing this. I figured that there wouldn't be any point in investing in a SCSI drive, when a new machine (which won't be TOO far down the line) would need to have a SCSI card put in to make it work. I figured this way an ATA-66 7200 rpm drive will easily be transferred over to a new machine without slowing it down or using up to PCI slot and the ATA card can be used to accomodate more internal drives if needed (or I can take it off their hands for use in my Rev. A B&W G3). Also, it;s not nearly as easy to find inexpensive SCSI drives in Canada these days, largely because many of the online outfits can't/won't sell or ship up here.

Thanks again. Any other input is still much appreciated.

The Wolfe
Oct 25, 2000, 06:03 PM

Patients
… Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with The ATA controller cards that are available for the Mac, nor the ATA drives which are so nice a cheap these days. For your situation it sounds like putting the card in the 7200 and getting an ATA drive might be a good option, it's just that I wouldn’t expect to see much speed gain in any.

I'm a big fan of ATA controllers for Mac's and ATA drives. It's nice that I can put more inexpensive, high capacity, high performance drives into my systems.

Good luck.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Forum Links
Forum Rules