Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > remote control for 6500/300

remote control for 6500/300
sleach
Feb 1, 2001, 11:00 PM

We recently upgraded to AT&T's digital cable and ended up with a surprise. The remote control for the cable box turns on our 6500/300 instead of the TV. Has anyone else had any similar experiences. I never new that the computer even had the capability.

Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2001, 01:07 AM

Cool huh?
I can do that on the 5500, it came with a remote control - its the DE (Directors Edition, with TV card and whatnot).
Very very cool

Cipher13

Feb 2, 2001, 02:58 PM

You see that little, dark-violet window that's above the headphone controls? That's the 64/6500's IR receiver, and it was designed to work with Apple's TV/Video system that was available as an option in these models. Even if you don't have the TV tuner card installed, any Sony remote will turn the computer off (I'm not sure about turning it back on...) and change the volume, if I remember correctly. It might control the CD player as well, but I'm not sure...

Have fun,

infiniti
12" iBook 900

Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2001, 09:37 PM

When I used to use my 6400 regularly I used a universal remote to control the CD player, but I couldn't get the track skip buttons to work so I funally bought the Apple-branded remote from Sun Remarketing, who overcharged me on shipping. I barely use it so it was a waste of $30, but its cool. If I had the TV card I guess it would be worth it.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 09:21 PM

you can disable the power off function, open up apple video player and in the prefrences or make it confirm just power off. I have a few spare remotes I would be glad to sell you. and or the TV tuner or the TV/FM tuner.

VRL
Senior User
Feb 13, 2001, 10:41 AM

Yes, a Sony remote (or programmable remote fo that matter) controls the CD ROM on my older Macs (Performa 630, e.g.). Very cool indeed.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 12:47 PM

This is why I fail to understand why Apple had to go and get rid of the IrDA ports on the Rev. C and newer iMacs. Everyone likes automation, even if it's only for the fun factor and it can't provide much use. Plus, how much money could removing the IrDA port really save, anyway?

Forum Links
Forum Rules