Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Display smearing with Rage Orion

Display smearing with Rage Orion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2000, 06:27 AM

I'm sorry to say I've got two problems with my Rage Orion Card which I bought yesterday. Most obvious is a smearing of windows when/after being dragged, and of part of the window contents when scrolling (both during 'live' scrolling and when scrolling rule by rule). It looks a bit like the effect which occurs in Windows when memory is full (if you're familiar with that).

Second is a type 2 error which occurs whenever a OpenGL capable application is launched or an application accesses OpenGL. The application then quits.

I haven't tried solving the latter symptom yet as I did the former. My system configuration is as follows:

UMAX S900(Pulsar) w/ NewerTech G4 400; Mac OS 9.04; ATI Universal Installer 4.20;
128 MB RAM; 4 GB Cheetah, 18 GB Barracuda (both connected to PowerDomain).
PCI slots: A: Rage Orion; B: Aurora Fuse; C: Adaptec PowerDomain 2940.

Things which I tried to solve the problem were the following:

- Starting with extensions off (apart from the ATI set);
- zapping the PRAM;
- deleting display preferences, monitors preferences, system preferences, finder preferences, Mac OS preferences;
- hitting the CUDA reset button;
- placing the card in another PCI slot (D).

None of this worked. What did work was starting without the ATI extension set or disabling acceleration from the ATI Menu. Which, of course, is an unacceptable solution. I didn't play around with the placing of the other two PCI boards yet, since removing one of them is also not an option and the Fuse card pretty much has to stay in one of the upper two slots due to PCI-Bridge issues with the s900 architecture.

Hopefully you can help me solve the problem. I also posted this to ATI tech support.

--Carst van der Molen
'If you just want to grow older by two
hours without any immediate danger to
your health, you watch TV.'

- Erik Spiekermann

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2000, 05:38 PM

I had some really jacked problems with a Rage+ card and the universal installer. Not sure if/how I got two versions of the installer or what, but I had some doubled ATI extensions in the system folder (though not named the same thing, of course) that gave me some really screwy results. I'll see if I can find the names of the files when I get home, but you might try restarting with some ATI extensions off and see if you can isolate one as a problem.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

zoeph  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2000, 05:14 AM

Alas the thing causing the problems is the solution here... when I disable the ATI Resource Manager, the smearing is gone. But acceleration is as well :-(

This is the list of ATI extensions currently installed:

ATI Extension 2.8
ATI Graphics Accelerator 5.1.6
ATI Guide 2.4
ATI Offscreen Mem Manager 2.0.7
ATI Rage 128 3D Accelerator 5.9.5
ATI Resource Manager 2.7.3
ATI Video Accelerator 4.6.2

This is after installing the latest Radeon drivers (which also work for Rage cards). The offscreen Memory manager wasn't there after installation, I put it back but I'm not sure if it does anything whith the new drivers). The radeon installation is strange anyhow, says it installs only components needed for my system but throws in some VR and Radeon extensions (also in the ATI menu). And my 3D sync can no longer be controlled from the ATI Displays panel.

BTW: Part of my OpenGL problems disappeared after reinstalling OS 9.04 with an update to the ATI drivers (I had a TwinTurbo before). Applications no longer crash, but the area used by an QD3D/OpenGL aware application doesn't fill up the whole area reserved for it; just about 85%. Screen resolutions and depth have no impact on this behaviour.

No answer yet from tech support. I guess this baby is going back, I'll give it a few more days.

------------------

- Erik Spiekermann

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2000, 10:40 AM

That really is stran-j. Seems like there should be some combination of old and new extensions that would make it work, but it's also ridiculous that you'd have to work so hard to find it. Any particular reason you went for the Orion model in particular?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

zoeph  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2000, 11:29 AM

Yes, indeed. Very ridiculous the card doesn't work out of the box.

Two reasons I bought the Orion:

1) My TwinTurbo card went dead (a RAM chip on the print just came off, nearly impossible to solder it back since it's surface-mounted);

2) I didn't want to spent too much on a new videocard - especially since I was actually waiting for the PCI version of the Radeon -, but I did need one right away since I need to use the computer. The Orion was in stock at a local shop, and it seemed like a no brainer: promising good enough performance to use it as a second card later on for a two monitor setup. Also I like the idea of having an ATI, because of their partnership with Apple. They seem to be more compatible than other brands. Boy do I seem to have misjudged this.

- Erik Spiekermann

Forum Links
Forum Rules