Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Cheapest way to hook a PB 145 to an iMac?

Cheapest way to hook a PB 145 to an iMac?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 01:47 AM

My friend just gave me his Powerbook 145....

What is the cheapest way to transfer files between the 2 computers?

It doesn't have a modem. :-(

Any clues?

thanks

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 02:11 AM

Like I tell many people, a lot of the time; there is no cheep way to do this. The best way to do this is to get a PowerBook SCSI ethernet adapter and then hook the two together through an ethernet connection. Be sure to do this through a hub and not with a crossover cable as AppleTalk and some Apple ethernet adapters don't like crossover cables.

You will thank me if you do this because once set up you will have seemeless transfer of data between these two computer.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2001, 02:13 PM

I have been thinking about this a few days ago. The cheapest that came to my mind, was to connect the two with a three wire serial cable (on the iMac side you need a USB-serial converter for a couple dozen $, like the Keyspan PDA adapter). If you don't already have a serial crossover cable, buy that too (or make one: TX-RX, RX-TX, GND-GND; DB9 to MiniDin in the case of the Keyspan PDA adapter). Then use a free terminal program like the venerable Z-Term to transfer files (e.g. Z-Modem transfer). Make sure to encode to HQX or BIN where appropriate (not needed for SIT compressed files).

Some other, more expensive (and convenient) possibilities:
- buy a USB floppy drive for your iMac, transfer by 3.5" disks
- use a Localtalk-Ethernet adapter (I think Farallon makes one; not 'cheap' tho)

[This message has been edited by 2far (edited 02-14-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules