Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File transfer to LC 575 from B&W G3

File transfer to LC 575 from B&W G3
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2000, 07:30 PM

I recently acquired an old LC 575, and have some files on my B&W G3 that I would like to transfer over. The question is... how? Both computers have the standard ports on the back.

My G3 does not have a serial port, so I can't do a serial-serial hookup. Can I do an ADB-ADB hookup (I realize this is deathly slow, but is it possible)?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

The Wolfe
Nov 7, 2000, 09:30 PM

An ADB to ADB connection is not possible. You can get an Ethernet card for your 575 (an LC-PDS Ethernet card) and transfer your files over crossover cable. You can also get a serial port for your G3 that replaces the internal modem card.

An Ethernet card will cost you about $30. I'm can't remember how much the G3 serial port will cost (it's either $60 or $100).

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2000, 09:59 AM

A cheaper way would be to stick the 575's hard drive in the G3 and copy it over... presuming you have a SCSI card in your B&W.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2000, 10:49 AM

I used to own a 575. The deepest inside the case I've gotten was pulling out the MB to add ram. From that limited experience, it looks like HD access involves a lot of taking apart to get to those components. Just don't get too gung-ho taking it apart and forget how to put it back together.

Also, I've got an old 40mg ext. HD that I've used with an old SE and that 575 that doesn't seem to work with my pci Macs. Could this be a scsi termination problem, or are some old (even Apple) scsi HDs not compatible with newer systems?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Mathias
Nov 12, 2000, 05:31 PM

If you have modems you may try (I did it between an old 630 and an iMac) the "modem-to-modem connection. Just connect the two modems together (out from the telephone line) and join the 2 computers with a program like ZTerm or the Claris Works communication module. It's slow but it works

Forum Links
Forum Rules