Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help needed to create startup zip disk

Help needed to create startup zip disk
penworth
Nov 8, 2000, 03:34 PM

Hi -- I've just updated my PowerCenter 150 with the latest HDToolkit bought and downloaded from FWB's site.
I'm trying to create an emergency startup on a zip disk. Tried dragging OS8.1 system folder over and installing
the HDToolkit, but it wouldn't boot. Tried creating it through Iomega's toolkit which creates what it calls a Rescue
Disk -- still wouldn't boot from this zip. Any suggestions?

The Wolfe
Nov 9, 2000, 01:23 AM

Just do a basic install of the System Software to the Zip disk. 90MB is plenty of space. After you're done, you can go through and weed out everything you don't want/need (or you can do this before installing - it takes up the same amount of time in my book). I've gotten a basic system 8.1 down to 27MB.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

penworth
Nov 25, 2000, 06:16 PM

Still trying to make a startup disk. Followed your advice, Wolfe, and it when I selected the Zip as Startup it froze and wouldn't boot. Tried several times with no luck. Then with the HD selected as startup and zip disk in hand, I inserted the zip just after restarting and it booted from the zip. Trouble is, it only did it once! Now when I do it, the zip is either ignored and booting is from HD, or it looks at the zip and then freezes.
Any suggestions???

The Wolfe
Nov 25, 2000, 11:59 PM

Check your SCSI ID setting. You should set it to 6 instead of 5. SCSI ID 5 had some issues.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Krinkle Cut
Dec 11, 2000, 05:04 PM

Also, other than the SCSI ID, hold down the delete-option-control-shilt keys when starting up (In case, for some inexplicable reason, its not remembering to start up from the Zip). This tells the Mac to look for another startup disk (I think it looks for an alternate internal IDE device first - either HD or CD - and then on the SCSI chain). If it can't find one, you will get a '?' The minimal install option straight onto a Zip has always worked fine for me. I also usually install DiskWarrior, CD Rom & HD Toolkit, Techtool Pro, NAV, etc and I still have a fair bit of room.

Forum Links
Forum Rules