Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa 5400 - scsi to usb? video RAM

Performa 5400 - scsi to usb? video RAM
Nov 14, 2000, 03:29 PM

is is possible to use a scsi/usb adapter backwards to connect an usb peripheral to my old black box?

I also know that one cannot upgrade the VRAM as it's onboard, or can you? How 'bout resoldering a larger chip on it? anyone have any tips for me?

doug

The Wolfe
Nov 15, 2000, 02:04 AM

No, USB to SCSI adapters will not work in reverse.

You are right, the VRAM onboard is not upgradeable. The 5400's graphics controller (VLSI graphics) most likely cannot handle more than the 1MB onboard - so I'm not sure that risking soldering a new chip on your logic board would be such a good idea.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Tintim
Nov 15, 2000, 03:42 AM

If you are attached to the 5400, you may like to buy a 5500 logic board, which has 2MB of video memory, and replace the one in the 5400 with it.

To use USB peripherals with the 5400, you can buy and install a PCI USB card in the 5400, as you may already know.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Tintim:
<STRONG>If you are attached to the 5400, you may like to buy a 5500 logic board, which has 2MB of video memory, and replace the one in the 5400 with it.

To use USB peripherals with the 5400, you can buy and install a PCI USB card in the 5400, as you may already know. </STRONG>
Can you tell me exactly what usb card you used and what os you were running?
I put a usb card I know works fine in my 5400 and it wouldn't recognize it. It acknowledged something was in the slot but id'd it as unknown.
I installed OS9 just to try the usb card.
Thanks.null[LIST][LIST]null

Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 01:39 PM

don't know bout the vram, but the generic 2-port USB PCI card from CompUSA worked great on my 5400/120

Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2002, 06:01 PM

Yeah, stick a 5500 mobo in there; get the 250MHz variant (some countries had a 275MHz one, I think) and you end up with a faster machine too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules