Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > new to mac

new to mac
darkwolf
Nov 15, 2000, 12:25 AM

ok well i just got a mac LC III from a friend of mine and i don't have a modem for it yet, i am using my pc for this post and all internet activities presently. my question is is there any way that i can get files from the internet with my pc for my mac. i have been trying but all the files i can get are in somthing called hqx format and the mac can't open them so i tried to get a program for those types of files and it was also in hqx format.

------------------

Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2000, 12:53 AM

Download Stuffit Expander in .sea format.

Cipher13

darkwolf
Nov 15, 2000, 02:37 AM

do you think you could give me a link to that file.
all the sites i found stuffit at had it in hqx, which did me absolutely no good, since it is what i needed to open hqx files.

------------------

Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2000, 04:11 AM

Better yet, do you want me to email it to you?
I haven't seen a download link to a .sea version...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 11-15-2000).]

darkwolf
Nov 15, 2000, 12:18 PM

that would be great

thanx alot

------------------

Tintim
Nov 15, 2000, 03:34 PM

I am not so sure getting a self extracting archive (.sea) will work. If you have a friend with a Mac that has StuffIt Expander on it, copy it on a floppy disk and put it on your Mac. Another option is to emulate a Mac on your PC. There is an article at http://www.emaculation.com/articles/intro.html which has a starter disk with StuffIt Expander on it. If you start up the emulate Mac on your PC and copy StuffIt Expander on a floppy disk and move it to your Mac and start from there.

Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2000, 10:11 AM

Your easiest bet would be to find a Macintosh magazine on sale with a CD-ROM in it. Any of these are pretty much guaranteed to have Stuffit Expander on them.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2000, 11:50 AM

An LC III has no CD-ROM.

I suggest you find a mac user who can put the Stuffit Expander onto a floppy for you. Its small enough and every mac user has this expander. You'll need the 68k version of it though.

Good luck. Vive la Macintosh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules