Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > LC II

LC II
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2000, 02:38 PM

I am here at a school and we are going to have an abundace of LC 2's and we don't know what to do with them. We were wondering if anyone knows a way that we could possiblly strip out the HD's and make them into a server or something on that order. If not does anyone know a good place to have them recycled?

Thanks
Brian Hayek

Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2000, 04:02 PM

The drive have to be in the size of 80MB which really don't make sense in a server environment.

If you *have* a server with extra drive bays and the SCSI cable to connect them by all means do it. The space can't hurt.

The computers themselves are pretty useless for anything but the most basic word processing and old/simple games at this point.

You might be able to salvage extra RAM from those machines for use in older printers and such. I believe the LCII has only one slot for a 72 pin simm(it might have been two). If you had them upgraded you might be able to put the RAM to use on something like a 7100 or 8100 that has open slots. The 7100-8100s require simms in pairs.

Good luck. Vive la Macintosh!

The Wolfe
Nov 17, 2000, 11:48 PM

I'm not exactly sure what your exact situation at your school is, but LC II's won't add much to a server environment (nor will the parts really) and they are a bit pokey for general word processing use and stuff of the like.

Our school had a bunch of LC II's that they were throwing away because of this exact issue, and I lobbied for them to save at least a few of the machines to use a experimental systems to try out different forms of UNIX. There were several students (myself included) who had a great interest in higher level computing, but we lacked the budget to buy a dedicated UNIX workstation or even the parts to build one. LC IIís are fully supported under NetBSD, and I even had a very version of MacLinux68k running on one system that had a whopping 6MB RAM(!)

If this idea fits into your school, my suggestion would be to find someone who might have the knowledge or interest to install a version or two of UNIX OSís on the machines, and see what interest you can garner. If someone messes up a machine or two, it wonít cost you anything, and the experience is priceless. UNIX experience has been and still is a very important skill, and I learned a great deal from free hardware that our network administrators were going to just throw away

otherwise, send them to me (seriously).

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Forum Links
Forum Rules