Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Daddy needs a new Hard Disk

Daddy needs a new Hard Disk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2001, 09:55 PM

Hey i am in the research stage of beefin up my performa 6360 to wring the thing of a few more good years... so far i have decided on getting a sonnet L2 400mhz g3 w/1mb backside cache upgrade... 2 64mb 5v edo dimm memory chips... and the last the hard drive... i have decided that i want to do an internal upgrade therefore i am working with my ide interface which i understand is at the old ata/16 format? and this means there is no use getting any drive that runs at more than 5400 rpms because ata/16 can only perform at max 16mb sec burst transfer rate? knowing that clears up a bit but i am still confused with the eide interface format and the advent of dma.... here's what i don't know...

since i have an ata/16 ide internal interface in my performa 6360 can i use an eide/ultra ata drive?
and since i have ata/16 can i take advantage of dma (direct memory access) so the ide interface doesn't load my processor and how can i tell if a drive uses dma?
also where can i find old large capacity hard disks so i don't waste money on 7500 rpm ultra ata/100 compatible drives... am i really better off with an older drive?

On another note i have a pci ethernet 10/100 card and i'm looking to free up my pci slot... is it possible to get a 10/100 ethernet card in my comm slot... please note that the apple spec page says i do not have comm 2... do you know of one if this is possible.....

thanks to all that help me out.... and i hope any answers i get help someone else out

-Neovirus

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2001, 11:35 AM

Couldn't you get a brand new iMac for a little more than the cost of all the stuff you plan to buy?

A new imac would then have usb and firewire, so you'd be able to use newer peripherals as they come out. You'd also be able to support OS X on an iMac while it won't run on your old performa. A new mac would also have a bigger hard drive.

Although if you have a bunch of ADB, serial and SCSI peripherals, then you might want to try to keep the old performa. Just remember it is a pretty old machine so don't spend money upgrading it if you want to use OS X.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2001, 02:04 PM

Hello,

indeed, the Apple Specs say that the 6360 has a comm slot.

But Low End Mac at http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/6360.shtml states
"Comm II slot, occupied by 28.8 kbps modem"

GURU 2.8, an overview programm of Apple hardware, by www.newerram.com, also says "Comm II slot".

It could be difficult to get a comm slot (or a comm II slot) card with more that 10 Mb/sec - I never heard of a 100 Mb variant for these slots. So it depends what you want to put into your PCI slot and which usage of your only PCI will give you more benefits.

Although I do not agree with jarends fully, I would keep the all opver investment in this machine on a reasonable level. Go for more RAM, if you get it at a good price (maximum is 136 MB using DIMMs), an inexpensive ethernet card, .... If I were you, I would certainly not consider a G3 upgrade unless I got it very cheap.

As to hard drives, in another thread I read recently that the IDE "bus" is backwards compatible, so you *might* put an ATA drive (which is something like EIDE) in as well. But I am not sure on this. A drive with a speed of 5400 would be fine for your machine, I think.

Best regards,

Walter.

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2001, 06:53 PM

You may never have heard of a 10/100MB Comm Slot II ethernet card, but searching for "Comm Slot" on Outpost.com reveals:

Fast EtherTX-10/100 Comm Slot II Farallon (NIC Cards)
For Mac
OVERNIGHT
$79.95

BUT....for the gentlemen with the 6360:

L2 Upgrade is about $340
(2) 64MB EDO DIMMs @$120 a piece (if you can find them - I guess you could buy them used.) is about $240
15-30GB Hard Drive is about $100

Adds up to: $680!!!!
Optional $80 ethernet card bumps it up to $760.

Now I know the fun in upgrading a system, but you are not going to be really happy with the performance of this one - mostly due to hard drive limitations, but also those expensive DIMMs certainly don't perform as well as SDRAM.

A refurbished iMac/350 will run you $649 at smalldog.com and an iMacDV runs not much more.

If you are into PCI slots (and it sounds like you might be)Allmac.com has a Beige G3/300 for $800 that has a robust upgrade path and a much faster IDE/ATA drive interface, or a Blue and White G3 for $950 both which are guaranteed to run MacOS X.

I'm sure there are even better deals out there.

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 02-26-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules