Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Is there any value to this stuff?

Is there any value to this stuff?
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2001, 03:43 PM

I have a friend that has several old apples that he is getting ready to toss -- I'm not sure of the working condition of any of these, but am curious if there is any value -- salvage or otherwise for these units:

"Several ][e's, a ][c, and a ][gs. Also, an Apple Imagewriter printer and lots of peripherals (cards, joystick, mouse, etc.). Two Apple monitors."

Heck, even I know they're really old. Comments appreciated.

:->

Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2001, 03:55 AM

I say keep 'em - you can never have too many Macs/computers, or too varied a system.
They won't be worth much most likely, but... keep 'em anyway.
What kind of monitors? Size, model etc... Probly the ones of the ]['s, right?

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 02-14-2001).]

Wetsponge
Feb 14, 2001, 09:49 AM

Good lord! it's a treasure trove. I have an operating ][e somewhere in a closet, it's great to boot it up every now and again to play Ultima 5 (still the best computer RPG, IMHO). of course, there's a lot to be said about emulation....

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2001, 10:15 AM

I'd just throw the stuff away. Not very useful and they just take up space.

I've had a lot of fun smashing apple ]['s over the years. They really make a nice soudn when they hit concrete and break apart.

Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2001, 10:20 AM

I'd be interested in the IIgs. Never played with one of those. I wonder if it'd play LEMONADE? Money? Who said anything about money? I'm just figuring to relieve your friend of it if he's going to toss it.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

dw
Feb 14, 2001, 01:06 PM

The IIgs was a GREAT machine in its day. It had an ensoniq chip for sound and 4096 colors for a color pallete at 512x384 pixels. Fun stuff but I wouldn't know what to do with one these days unless you could find an old copy of ZANY GOLF IIGS, the GREATEST mini golf game EVER!

Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2001, 12:48 AM

>>lots of peripherals (cards, joystick, mouse, etc

Hi! I like old Apple mice. contact me at victor @ ripal.co.il

I'll be happy to pay a few bucks for the mice and shipping, tell me what your friend has and let's talk about what he'd want for 'em.

Thanks!
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

GLT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2001, 04:15 AM

Ah, Memories-
The ][gs seemed like such a "fancy" machine compared to the ][e.
I lusted after one.
"Silent Service"(?) a great submarine vs. the Japanese Navy game.
Pure strategy. Being depth-charged while running out of both oxygen and battery power--taking an hour to get in position to attack a convoy (and that was accelerated time) -- dealing with the defective torpedoes that plagued the subs for a while--those were the days!
I think I've still got the game around here somewhere.
Hell, I think I'll pick up a ][ just to play that game again!
That seems like SUCH a long time ago.

Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2001, 08:35 PM

I used to write graphic displays in basic (AppleDOS) on a Apple II. I have a II GS (second rom revision) with 4MB ram and no HD! I don't do anything like I used to – barely ever turn it on. But to just have it!
Carpé Bandwidth

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2001, 09:16 AM

I don't really have anything that old just because you start to run out of room for the stuff. I keep getting rid of things.

Senior User
Feb 20, 2001, 09:52 PM

Geez...talk about the past. The IIgs was the first Apple computer that my family bought all those years ago. We still have it sitting on a table in our game room. Can't even remember the last time we booted it up. I do know for a fact that we have both Silent Service and Zany Golf. I used to play Silent Service for hours. It was so much fun shooting at boats and planes and stuff. Wow...good times.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2001, 04:29 PM

The Imagewriter printer might be worth a little money since dot matrix printers are hard to come by these days and people still need to print multi-layer forms...

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules