Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Nubus card w/ USB, or firewire

Nubus card w/ USB, or firewire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2001, 06:53 PM

Nubus card w/ USB, or firewire

Is there such a beast, I have a 7100/66 that Iím thinking about upgrading to a G3 with the Sonett Card. I would also like to have USB or Firewire on it.

There is a slot that looks like a pci slot that the Video card is in, which is different from the Nubus. Anyone no what kind of slot that is?

MacNovice

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2001, 10:17 AM

I don't think anyone makes that...

Unless you have a ton of RAM and a really big hard drive, I wouldn't waste the money on the upgrade, but would just hold out for a new mac. (Atleast 128 megs of ram and atleast a 6 gig hard drive)

Upgraded systems won't be supported for OS X either..

SpinyNorman
Feb 15, 2001, 12:12 PM

I believe that would be the PDS slot (processor-direct).

Tim Michael [finboy]
Feb 16, 2001, 09:01 PM

I haven't heard of a USB/firewire nubus card. I think you have to have a PCI slot for those. In fact, I'm almost CERTAIN that you have to have PCI.

That's like the rumoured PCMCIA USB card for the PowerBook 1400. They don't exist! There's no way to 1) go above the 1400's 64M RAM limit, or 2) add USB to it, regardless of what web rumour might say.

Good luck with your upgrade, though. I strongly believe in using a machine until it gives up the ghost. There must be SOMETHING an old 7100 is good for, even if it can't handle a USB card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules