Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6100 ethernet-cable modem problem

6100 ethernet-cable modem problem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2000, 05:47 PM

Hi,

I got a old 6100 for next to nothing, and setup it for my
house network. For mac to mac ; no problem but when
I access the net via my cable, I load one (1) page,
any one (1) page then the connection cut.

I have system 8.1, and i change TCP/IP control panel, for the
8.5 TCP/IP. same thing, but at least now, the control panel detect
the sub-net mask and the router address automatically.

any idea why the connection stop after one (1) page ?

------------------
NiŠk
NiŠk

Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2000, 12:36 PM

I had a 6100 and don't have one now, but a few questions to clarify your configuration.

Are you connecting this mac directly to the modem or through an ethernet hub?
If connected through a hub, is it only the 6100 that disconnects after a single-page load?

Are you using the built-in ethernet? or a third party ethernet card?

Are your using DHCP to get your address from the 'modem' (which in all likelihood is a router/bridge) as your message seems to suggest? If so, I know there were issues with DHCP and OS8.x. You might look at the Apple technical info library under OS8 and DHCP.

Lastly, I have a PDS->Nubus converter that I have left over from owning a 6100. Would you want it? I paid $100 for it and would send it to you for US$25. It allows connecting a single nubus card to the computer. If you have an AV model 6100 it wouldn't make sense because you'd have to remove your AV card to install this adapter. It worked wonderfully for a second video card allowing two monitors for the 6100.

Email me if you're interested. (click on the icon above my message to get the email address).

Good luck with your networking issues.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2000, 02:00 AM

Under TCP/IP under edit, choose advanced, then a new button appears, options, click it, and make sure Load only when need is OFF

------------------
-See Yea!

skoewl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2000, 10:06 AM

Hi,

I am using the built-in ethernet, connecting through an ethernet hub and only the 6100 is connected while i attempt to connect. I intend to use Ipnetrouter on the 6100.

I use DHCP, with the control panel of 8.6, the setting are perfect.But i have the same problem i had with the 8.1.

and yes the Load only when need is OFF.

tanx for the hardware offer, but i should make it work, its normal setting . OLD but normal.

any other idea ?

NiŠk

Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2000, 11:06 AM

I don't know why it would be knocking you off after one lookup of a webpage. Have you tried different sites? It almost seems like the DNS isn't working and it is pulling your homepage from cache. Can you get to other sites at least once?

Using the 6100 as a router is a great way to go when using cable. I haven't seen a cable broadband service that provides any real security and you'll be able to build it yourself with the 6100 acting as a router.

If your DNS isn't working properly, do your other computers resolve web addresses properly when connected? Is it only with this machine? If so, you mentioned replacing the TCP/IP and testing it that way.

What prevents you from using 8.51 or 8.6 on the machine? I know sys 8.5 had DHCP issues I ran into at work. When we upgraded to 8.6 they went away.

Check out these links and see if they provide any insight or help in figuring out what you can do to get this working. From reading the links you may wish to try updating your AppleshareClient to 'AppleShare Client 3.8.6' But I'm not sure that will affect your TCP/IP settings at all.

Otherwise I think your best bet would be using System Software 8.6 or better.

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58372
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58523
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58138
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30546

Good luck. Vive la Macintosh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules