Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > LC 575 connecting to the internet

LC 575 connecting to the internet
carrawa
Nov 25, 2000, 05:50 AM

I have a LC 575 at home, i am presently overseas. What i want to do is connect it to the web for my father so he can e-mail me and maybe internet phone calls.

Can anybody tell me if we buy a modem will the computer still be able to run hotmail.com or is it better to send it to that place for computers in the sky (last resort).

Thanx

Troy

Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2000, 11:35 AM

Your 575 should be very capable of internet access and running Netscape 4.04 (the 68k version). You'll have to get the software from some other computer and have it put on a CD-ROM or ZIP disk to transfer the file. I doubt the processor will be capable of any voice telephony, but you could do IRC chat or other chatting software like AIM.

Vive la Macintosh!

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2000, 07:42 PM

As a 575 owner for 6 years now, I'd advise using iCab (www.icab.de) for your browser, since it's a much smaller program to d/l and has a smaller ram footprint as well. Using Netscape4 is achingly slow, even just the browser-standalone. I agree that it won't handle telephony stuff well, but chat stuff and email should be no problem at all.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2000, 10:31 PM

Hi,

I 'retired' my 575 sometime back but I did have it setup to surf the internet - you'll have no problems connecting just make sure you have enough memory, the right software (non-PPC) and a fast modem.

good luck
this sig intentionally left blank

carrawa
Nov 27, 2000, 10:15 PM

Thankyou everyone for your help. I will organise for the computer to be set up, and see how she works.

I really did not want to retire her.

Thankyou again.

Troy

Forum Links
Forum Rules