Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sluggish 5260 Performa Power PC

Sluggish 5260 Performa Power PC
Mary Montague
Nov 26, 2000, 02:16 PM

My Mac has 64 megs RAM and 1.2 Gigs of HD with about 300 megs free space and System Software 8.1

Up until recently it has gone about its business quite happily and quickly. Last week I had the machine on and printed a document on the Epson 740. At that time it was working well as usual. When the document was printed the message came on that I was out of ink. I turned the printer and computer off and about 12 hours later when I tried to boot up the machine the screen would light up but that was all. I tried with the extensions off but still the same result, Finally I turned the power switch at the back of the machine off. When I turned it back on and tried to boot up the machine it started but since then it is sluggish eg., when I click to open or close a window there is a long delay. I ran Norton Disk Doctor and no problems are noted. I also reinstalled the 8.1 software. I have tried with Virtual Memory both on and off with no change. The Default setting is to have it on but only at 65 megs. I have aalso tried the default but just increasing the cache. The Mouse settings in the Control panel are set to fast. The clock is not losing time so battery must be okay. Apple Talk is turned to inactive. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you.

Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2000, 07:25 PM

Look in your system folder for a folder named, "Printmonitor Documents"

If you have anything in there, delete those files. This happens with Postscript printers using the desktop printing in OS8 or better. This may have happened that you printed the document and it couldn't complete so it continues to try and print after rebooting.

I've seen this happen before where a printed file caused the computer to hang up. I restarted the machine only to have it re-hang a few seconds after a successful reboot. Solution: reboot without extensions on and look for the offending spooled print file.

BUT, you were printing to an Epson printer and I'm unfamiliar with the printing software for Epson ink-jet printers. You might look for a spool folder for your Epson printer software and see if there is a file spooled and waiting to print. I believe if you find a file and remove it your sluggishness could go away.

Good luck, its only one possible solution without a look at your system.

Vive la Macintosh!

Mary Montague
Nov 27, 2000, 12:47 AM

Thank you Bluedog, my Mac is now merrily skipping along just like its happy old self.

Forum Links
Forum Rules