Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Defeating Old Copy-protected Disks

Defeating Old Copy-protected Disks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2001, 12:18 AM

Over 10 years ago I purchased some software on disks that were copy-protected. They are 520K disks, and my floppy reader won't read them. Because they are copy-protected, I cannot copy them onto 1.44MN disks, which my floppy drive will read.

I know that there were ways to defeat copy-protection. Does anyone remember how to do it?

Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2001, 12:23 AM

If you can find an old enough computer to read them, use a disk imaging program on them, and then use the disk images.
Disk Copy probably won't be much help... it doesn't like corrupted sectors etc.
Try to find something like CD-Copy for floppy disks...
Sorry I couldn't help

Cipher13

Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2001, 11:31 AM

I can't speak to 520K disks, because the Mac never used such. It went 400KB, 800KB, and 1.44MB. Anyway, if you're talking about one of those, you might want to scare up a copy of Copy II Mac and do a bit-copy. Remember those days?
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Feb 18, 2001, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by denim:
you might want to scare up a copy of Copy II Mac and do a bit-copy. Remember those days?
OR
for the Apple ]['s, 'Copy ][ Plus'!... Oh, yeah... sector copy/bit copy/ alter boot blocks etc... Those were the good ol'days!

-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2001, 09:09 AM

darkprince,

I understand you are referring to double density floppies (DS/DD, capacity unformatted 800k, formatted for PC they were 720k).

In the old days we used to copy these DS/DD floppies with a copy protection scheme for Mac OS in an Amiga (such as the Amiga 500) by doing a diskcopy, similar to the bit copy method mentioned above already. The Amiga's diskcopy scheme did not know anything about the Mac-related copy protection information on the original disk, it just copied all the floppy contents...

Regards,

Walter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules