Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > frozen old mac

frozen old mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2001, 02:13 PM

I guess my problem is fairly simple for all you experienced mac users out there, but I've no idea what to do... have a 7200/90 (OS 8.0). I've had it for 4 years and it never crashed on me...up until now! It's frozen and I can't get past the desktop when I switch it on, the cursor arrow is stuck on the top left hand corner of the screen and doesnt respond to the mouse at all. (No, it's not the mouse, I bought a new one, same thing). Someone suggested that I reboot the OS, but when I put the original CD-rom in, the frozen cursor will not move, so I can't click on any of the cd-rom icons, and so now the cd-rom is stuck in the machine too. I suspect that the iomega 2GB jazz drive software I just loaded into my mac has somehow corrupted the hard disk drive; but mainly, does anyone here know how I can get into and operate the computer with the keyboard, and/or how I can solve this problem? I use my mac mainly for music programming via Steinberg's Cubase (3.4). Any advice would be much, much appreciated.

Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2001, 03:28 PM

If it's the Jaz drive software that might be the problem, you could always turn off all extensions by holding the shift key down at startup (or do it using the extensions manager by holding the space bar down), and try and figure out the problem from there.

If that doesn't work, it might be a problem with the system on your hard disk. Start up from your CD by booting up the computer while holding down the "C" key (if it's literally stuck in the machine, though, stick a bent paper clip in that pinhole on the drive to eject it). Reinstalling the system is always a good bet for solving strange problems like this. You'd probably want to do a clean install, but just remember to move your old system folder so you don't lose any third party control panels or extensions you might have.

Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2001, 10:32 PM

Try starting up without extensions (hold shift during boot) then runing Disk First Aid. If this checks out ok then I would start loading extensions a few at a time.
Carpé Bandwidth

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2001, 04:54 PM

I had this same problem..or atleast something similar on a power mac 5200.

I still haven't resolved it.

The mouse won't move and they keyboard won't work. I swapped them both. Still nothing.

The odd thing is that the keyboard still turns on the machine though, but beyond that nothing works. So that means I cant hold down c to boot from a cd, reset the pram, boot from another disk, disable extensions, etc...it's driving me nuts.

I even reset the logic board and put a new pram battery in it.

I hope melissa's problem isn't the same as mine. Since I work for a school an old 5200 is semi disposable. Sure we'd like to use it but it's not going to upset anyone too much. Its a shame its her primary machine.

Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 11:26 AM

Could be an ADB problem. If your computer's ADB port is fried, ain't nuthin' gonna move the pointer or type into the machine unless you've got some other way to connect a keyboard and mouse, such as a USB card.

If it is an ADB problem, you'll have to take the hardware in for service, as that would be a motherboard issue.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

melissa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2001, 02:40 PM

hi, thanks so much everyone for your replies, been away, just got back so will try some of the solutions suggested. once again, thanks...just hope it isn't the motherboard as I don't relish the prospect of taking it in for service...

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2001, 10:16 PM

Try holding down Command-Option-P-R at startup, too, since it might be a PRAM issue.
He can be fixed -- you can't.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2001, 02:28 AM

If you DO have a fried ADB controller, you can replace that motherboard (and keep your RAM and HD and everything else) for $50 to $100 via ebay or someplace like macresq or smalldog. You don't have to necessarily spring for a new system if you aren't ready for one.

Eberhard
Mar 6, 2001, 02:54 PM

Dead batteries can give such odd problems as decribed. An other culprit could be a dead HD. Try booting from the CD with the internal HD dissconected.
If the motherboard is fried:
Other Word Computing sell a stripped 7200/90 for 55 dollar an other otion would be to buy a 7600 for 180 dollar and move CD, HD, RAM etc to the vastly superior 7600. The CPUs start at 5 dollar for a 120 MHz 604.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2001, 08:49 PM

Yeah, I forgot about OWC (macsales.com). They're really good folks, too. And they can sell you exactly what you need on the build to order part of their web site.

Mar 8, 2001, 09:52 PM

For MotherBoard swaps, give Shreve Systems a try if you have to at:
http://www.shrevesystems.com/
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2001, 12:43 PM

Shreve is expensive, but they have everything. Sunrem.com is expensive as well.

I'd check with OWC (macsales) and/or macresq first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules