Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PDS is PDS is PDS?

PDS is PDS is PDS?
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2001, 04:20 PM

I have a Color Classic and a Performa 6200. I've been looking for a PDS ethernet card. However, I've gotten mixed reports. Is the PDS slot in the Color Classic the same in the Performa 6200? I took a look at their motherboards, and it looks like the 6200 has an seperate little extension of pins. However, the first part looks identicle to the Classic's.

Could use some info,

Thanks.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2001, 12:39 AM

I don't know if those 2 pds slots are compatable, but as far as I know there have been many variations of pds slots over the years as apple has made new macs.

The color classic and 6200 might be similar though. I know 5200s and similar machines have the same kind of slots as LC type machines, which a color classic was.

A 6XXX machine was similar to a 5XXX machine, just different kind of case if i remember correctly. Anyone know for sure?

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2001, 08:44 AM

The Apple Specs at
http://support.info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf

say "LC PDS" slot for both the 6200 and Color Classic.

Remember, the 6200 does also have an additional comm slot (which the Color Classic does not have) where an ethernet card could be plugged in. If you want exchangeability of the card, make sure you do not get a comm slot card.

And yes, jarends, as far as I know, the motherboards of 6200's and 5200's are identical in layout and electronic components (maybe they can be swapped even?). So regarding the PDS slots, if you say they are identical with the 5200 and the LC series, this surely applies to the 6200 also.

Regards,

Walter.

Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 12:06 PM

As far as I know, the 5xxx and corresponding 6xxx machines are exactly the same, with the obvious exception of internal monitor. You state this is the case with the 5200 and 6200; and my 5500/225 was exactly the same as my friend's 6500/225 in terms of electronics and specs, etc. Check out the AppleSpec Database and apple-history.com to verify this.

------------------
Graphite iMac DV/SE (400MHz, 128 MB RAM, DVD, 13GB HD)
Coming Up Next: 500MHz Titanium PowerBook G4!

Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2001, 03:22 PM

Cool, thanks. Oh, btw, the 6500 is more closely related to the Color Classic than a 6200.

The motherboards are actually interchangable, oddly enough. Trying to get one mysel to upgrade my Color Classic to a PowerPC. Eventually I'm going to stick a VooDoo 3 in it and have one of the most powerful classics on the planet.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2001, 11:49 AM

olePigeon,

you say
"Oh, btw, the 6500 is more closely related to the Color Classic than a 6200.
The motherboards are actually interchangable, oddly enough."

Really? No kidding? Just take the motherboard out of the 6500 and put it into the Color Classic? No sawing any holes into the back of the baby?

This would render a - wait a minute - 250 MHz or so PPC Color Classic.

Hmmmm...

Regards,

Walter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules