Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sonnet Upgrade into 6116CD problems

Sonnet Upgrade into 6116CD problems
Senior User
Feb 24, 2001, 12:55 PM

Help! I'm trying to upgrade my 6116cd with a sonnet crescendo/encore nubus processor card, and it's not working. Everything is installed correctly and then I put the card in and it freezes before the the sonnet extension (or any of them) hits the screen at startup. Does anyone know how to fix/overcome this problem? Let me know!

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2001, 09:26 PM

Do you have an A/V card in the Mac? I had/have similar problems with my Sonnet-upgraded 6150. The Sonnet card doesn't fit in the bracket for the A/V card very well, causing the card to become slighty misaligned which makes the system hang on bootup. I played around with it for about 45 minutes when I first put it in an I was able to get it "just right". I also needed to leave out one of the large screws that hold the A/V card in place in order to get everything to work.

It was a major pain, but the computer is a great deal faster now, and as long as I don't need to remove the case, everything is fine.

Hope this helped.

Senior User
Feb 25, 2001, 01:44 AM

No, I don't have an AV Card, but maybe you can tell me more about getting the card "just right." What kind of adjustments do I need to make?

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2001, 10:54 AM

Do you happen to have any Level 2 cache installed? I know that some G3 upgrades really hate being in there along with L2 cache.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Senior User
Feb 25, 2001, 11:01 AM

I did have a Level 2 chache card in there, but I removed it as per the manual's instructions. In terms of an extension conflict, I removed all of the other extensions and it still froze. Thanks for the help--keep the questions and suggestions coming, though!

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2001, 12:08 PM

As for getting the card "just right" I had to move the card to get it vertical in the slot. Something else I forgot to mention: I also had to rebuild the desktop after installing the drivers for the G3 and before installing the card itself. I also needed to zap the PRAM.

Senior User
Feb 25, 2001, 02:19 PM

A-HA! I did NOT rebuild the desktop after installation (although I did zap the PRAM). I will try again and let you know.

Senior User
Feb 25, 2001, 10:42 PM

Tried rebuilding desktop, then inserted the card. Before, I got a start-up screen and then it froze. Now, it powers up without any video and the chime doesn't even go on. Any other ideas?

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2001, 11:32 AM

It's possible that you got a bad card.

I would consider calling up whomever you purchased it from and setting up a return.

Forum Links
Forum Rules