Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 280c & external modem

280c & external modem
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2001, 08:21 AM

is it possible to connect an external modem to a 280c to increase the connection speed over the 14.4 internal modem? Any brands to seek or avoid?
Also, any suggestions for reliable web sources of parts for this machine?

Thx
Greg

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2001, 12:09 PM

GFitzy,

as the 280c serial port is a 57.6k one, a 28.8 or 33.6 modem would be fine. To attach a 56k modem would not do any harm, however. You might get closer to the theoretical limit of 115.2k by using FreePPP instead of Apple's own PPP (MacPPP in System 7, OT/PPP with OS 8.x). FreePPP may not work with OS 8.5 and 8.6, I did not try it.

As connection software you should try FreePPP (most recent version is 2.6.2, but 2.5.2 worked fine, too). See http://www.rockstar.com/ppp.shtml for details.

As to hardware, the SupraFaxModem 288 is a pretty good modem to buy second hand (most of the 288's are flashable to 33.6 easily). The Global Village TelePort will also be fine, there are 33.6 (discontinued) and 56k varieties.

Regards,

Walter.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2001, 12:14 PM

Good information for the use of 56k modems with older Macs is at Low End Mac,
http://www.lowendmac.com/56k/hype.shtml#serial

more general information regarding the 280c is available here, again at Low End Mac,

http://www.lowendmac.com/pb/280c.shtml

with the official Apple specs for your model here
http://support.info.apple.com/info.a...pec.taf?RID=64

Good luck,

Walter.

[This message has been edited by Walter J. Ferstl (edited 02-26-2001).]

GFitzy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2001, 12:40 PM

Thanks Walt, with this info and some ca$h I should be able to take this machine for a test drive on the web soon.

BTW, I'm already using FreePPP on my iMac and concur that it is far superior to the Apple provided connectivity software.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2001, 01:23 PM

GFitzy,

regarding the TelePort Modems by Global Village:
When I tried to attach one of the 33.6 Platinum models to a PowerBook (this was the Teleport that does not need an external power supply), the plug of the modem's cable did not fit into the serial socket of the PowerBook.

My theory is that the cables of these Teleports that take their power from the serial port have a slightly different pin layout and their plugs would no go into the serial sockets of PowerBooks smoothly. Do not force it in!

There are other GV Teleport models using external power supplies, the plug problem should not apply to them.

Generally the Teleport family is technically a very good modem series, also very nicely oriented towards the Macintosh. For Mac-only use, I would prefer them clearly to the Supras, which on the other hand are more versatile, of course (you can attach a cable for a PC as well, - if you have to ;-).

Maybe the internal modem and/or its software has to be remooved before you can use an external modem (this is my experience with the 6200 Performas, but who knows...)

Walter.

[This message has been edited by Walter J. Ferstl (edited 02-26-2001).]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2001, 03:31 PM

I have several external modems made specifically for Mac (Global Village X2/V.90 for instance). I have others that are just external PC modems hooked up to a mac using a RS-232 Modem Cable on the modem end converted to a 9 Pin Serial Connector on the older Mac end. I love this last setup, as I can plug these modems (Best Data 56K, Hayes Accura V.92, Zoom Dual Mode, US R Sportster V.90) into an older Mac or a PC. I do not have all of the USB troubles I read about in OS 9.1. My favorite modem is the Hayes Accura V.92 due to superior average thru-put.

-Mr. Apploholic-
new Mac Modem Software reviewed at: http://www.applelinks.com/mooresviews/mmm.shtml
---
Mr. Apploholic

Forum Links
Forum Rules