Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bootable Floppy...

Bootable Floppy...
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2001, 01:36 AM

From apple.com, you can (And i have) downloaded a Network Access Floppy image, which is an image of a 1.4 MB flppy disc that can boot a mac and allow you to connect to it via filesharing. Can anyone make a bootable internet access floppy, one that can boot a mac and allow programs, assume on another disk, to connect to the internet via tcp/ip?

Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2001, 02:02 AM

If you want to connect to the internet within a floppy disk, you need to use System 6.x(System 7.x is too big, no additional space to store the web browser), that means you need a very very very old Mac to do it.

I had made a bootable floppy disk for the MacPlus, it includes System 6.0.8, TCP/IP and PPP Software, and a basic web browser, MacWeb.

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: MacMonster ]

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2001, 11:44 AM

I don't need a web browser, but i thought you needed 7.5 or 7.6 to connect using tcp/ip? do you have an image around, smallest possible, i just wanna add the Dnet client and that's it. See i have a bunch of old old macs and instead of throwing them away or just letting them continue to sit and collect dust, i wannaset them all up running dnet client. but for purposes of noise and electricity usage, i'd rather use floppy drives instead of hard drives, probably end up having ram disks and running off them, but i need to fit it all on a floppy for when the power goes out.

Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2001, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
[QB]I don't need a web browser, but i thought you needed 7.5 or 7.6 to connect using tcp/ip?
QB]
No, older version of MacTCP control panel and PPP extension work on System 6.x.

Check out this: http://www.jagshouse.com/internet_on_system_6.html

Jul 2, 2001, 11:12 PM

I just got my first old mac
Macintosh SE, the one with two disk drives (i believe they are 800k, not 1.44mb, but i could be wrong!)

There is no disk with it, and when i start it up, all i get is the disk questionmark icon.

I have downloaded system 6.0.8 on my G4 (my main piece), and have tried a lot of finagaling with my pc and TransMac to get it to work.. my bet is that i need a bootup disk and that's not what the system software is... right?

anyhow, Help! I have no idea where to begin!

thanks
aaron
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

Jul 2, 2001, 11:14 PM

sorry

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: FAerrorTAL ]
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

Jul 2, 2001, 11:15 PM

sorry sorry

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: FAerrorTAL ]
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2001, 11:17 PM

What you need i simply a HFS formatted floppy with system 6 instaled on it, the problem is PC's don't do HFS or resource forks, but anyone you know with a mac and a floppy could make you one in a second, jsut email them the system .sit'd

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE STOP HITTING SUBMIT!!!!!

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: l008com ]

Jul 4, 2001, 07:29 PM

thanks, i'll do that...

sorry about the posts! didn't realize.....
my connection is aol, and painfully slow, i guess i didn't know if i had actually pressed it....
sorry again, anda thanks

aaron
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

Forum Links
Forum Rules