Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > help: Mac SE - Etherport SE(i) Installation

help: Mac SE - Etherport SE(i) Installation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2001, 09:12 PM

I'm attempting to install an Etherport SE(i) ethernet card into my old SE. There are 2 cards to install, 1 on the motherboad into the expansion slot and another on the back with the jacks. There is a cable connecting the two.

Once I have it installed and I turn on the computer it makes a clicking nosie. The fan hardly moves and it will not boot. If I unplug the cable connecting the two boards the computer will boot fine.

Does anyone recognize the clicking sound?

Of course I do not have the manual, but I do have the Installation disk - now I just need to get a boot floopy to start up the SE from as the install disk will not boot the computer. But first I need it to boot with the card pulgged in.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate some help.
Thanks,
iolaire

iolaire@mac.com
Current side project - While Supplies Last - a regularly updated summary of refurbished inventory in the US, Canadian and UK Apple Web Stores.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2001, 04:48 PM

The only suggestion I have is related to the ribbon cable that connects the interface with the actual card in the computer. It is very important that the cable be connected properly or else you won't be able to get a network connection. It is also possible that if the cable is put on in reverse between the card and the interface that it would cause a failed computer starup.

I'm not sure if the card only activates itself if it sees the interface card in place connected through the ribbon cable. Let's assume that you are putting the ribbon cable on correctly. Then that may tell the card that all the parts are there to start up and when it tries to start up with the computer it causes the comptuer to not start up.

The problem could be the cable connection between the card and the interface, or it could be that you have a faulty ethernet card.

iolaire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2001, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Once I was almost gave up on the card, I found a switch on the outside that I beleived was to switch the from one jack to another. I was wrong, I switched it and everying booted up fine.... iolaire
Current side project - While Supplies Last - a regularly updated summary of refurbished inventory in the US, Canadian and UK Apple Web Stores.

Forum Links
Forum Rules