Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple Talk Zone

Apple Talk Zone
Mar 1, 2001, 06:16 PM

Our school has 6 old Power Mac 5280's running System 8.1 with 24MGS of Ram. They're hooked up to an Ethernet Port for internet, file sharing, and printing. We just got a new printer, an Epson 900. We have it connected to the printer port of the teacher's computer. How do we create an "Apple Talk Zone" with System 8.1? Any suggestions or where could I look for instructions? Since the computers are all over 5 years old, all the manuals, etc. have disappeared. The Tech coordinator has a 9 week back log in work orders and hates Macs. Any ideas?
It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2001, 07:55 PM

appletalk zones are created on the router, not something you can do yourself. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that though or how its related to sharing the printer.

What kind of computer is the printer on? a 5280? or something else?

Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2001, 10:50 PM

An AppleTalk Zone is like a different layer of networking over the same protocal. You can actually have two or more seperate networks running over AppleTalk. It's mostly used to seperate certain computers over a network so they can see each other and not other computers, and vise versa. Used a lot in schools to seperate the Administration network and the network used for the students.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mar 2, 2001, 12:39 AM

The Epson 900 is connected to the Printer Port of one the PowerMac 5280's. Do I need to install some sort of ethernet "card" or connector in the printer and hook it up directly through the network or can I leave it hooked up to directly to the computer's printer port and share it that way?

Thanks for any information I've received thus far. I'm learning this network stuff through trial and mostly error.
It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Mar 2, 2001, 09:18 PM

apples free control panel

LocalTalk Bridge

will do it for your serial appletalk printer and let the ethernet macs see it

------------------

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2001, 11:52 PM

I'm guessing you're a student at the school. In this position there's really no easy way to do what you want to accomplish with computers that old.

My suggestion is an AB switch, maybe you can even find an abcdef switch, or something bigger. Another option would be to get an HP jet direct box (300 bucks) and it'd allow the printer to sit on your network and look like it was an HP printer. You're school tech guys can administer it with JetAdmin. This isn't cheap though. You'll have to check with epson to see if a 900 will work on a jet direct box. Only some non HP printers work on it. The advantage to one of those boxes is that they can be used somewhere else some day.

If you had a 900N, it has an ethernet port, so you might want to see if there is a way to add a module to the 900 to upgrade it to a 900N. I have no idea of epson does that or not, so you'd have to check their site.

I work for a school IT dept, and I understand people like you who have good intentions, but its really difficult to support older computers like 5200s. Most school districts have far fewer techs than they should, and fighting old computers to do things they weren't intended for sucks. I'd rather throw them in a closet and deploy some iMacs and Dells. Spending money on old computers can be hard to justify.

So I'm sorry, but there's no particularly easy way to network the printer as I see it.

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 01:38 AM

How about EpsonShare. An educational license is $99.
Basically it shares an Epson Printer hooked to one computer on any type of network that allows file sharing (it actually moves temp print job files from the folder on the client to the Spool folder on the server).
http://www.pro-soft-solutions.com/eps.htm

drewman

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2001, 04:21 PM

EpsonShare is a pain. I've had bad luck with it.

If you can get it to work, all the more power to you.

The downside is I think they need you to purchase the SW w/ a credit card, which most schools can't do.

Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 06:51 PM

Unfortunately, the port on the back of the 900 is a serial port, not localtalk, so it can't readily be shared on the network. You would need to purchase either a localtalk card (which I wouldn't recommend because they were spotty), or an ethernet card (Multiprotocol 10/100 Ethernet, Type B, Print Server without AC Adapter C823632 ), which is roughly $250-$300. The ethernet printe server works well. Check out http://www.threemacs.com . They have great info on networking printers (basically networking in general).
best of luck,
dave

Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 06:53 PM

This is a great topic and I am moving it to the networking forum where it might also get other perspectives...
good luck,
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules