Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Appletalk problem on 5200

Appletalk problem on 5200
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 10:27 AM

I have a long standing problem with my Performa 5200. Its running 8.1 and is connected via ethernet to a rev B imac (9.1)
I consistently find that the Appletalk control panel defaults (or changes) to printer port rather than 'ethernet' even when saved. Both Macs are connected direct to the same printer (Stylus 740) using serial and USB cables.
The printer periodically spews out gobbledegook (Does that translate over the pond!?) and its power light flashes. The imac can print but the 5200 cannot connect. By a random process of restarting Mac or printer or Appletalk it returns to normal....for a while. Hey its not life threatening but very annoying.
tiBook 15" 1Ghz/1Gb/10.3.6
imac 800 17"/768Mb/10.3.6

Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2001, 01:44 PM

You say you have both computers connected with ethernet, and both connected direct to the same printer. Could you elaborate on the setup a bit. I'm not sure about this, but I don't believe you can have two computers connected to the same printer at the same time using different protocols. That may be the source of your problem.

Also how are the computers networked together? Do you have a hub/switch, or do you use a crossover cable? Get me a little mofe info on your setup and I may be able to help you more.

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 02:24 PM

The computer's have a crossover cable between them and the printer has USB and serial ports enabling (I'm sure I read it somewhere) "you to connect 2 computers to your printer" That doesn't mean it's not the problem of course.
Also. it doesn't do it all the time...maybe it could be to do with which order stuff is turned on or whether sharing is on or some combination of these factors?!

------------------
Bondi imac/233/192/9.1 Performa5200/75/64/8.1
20thAnniversary/250/32/8.1
tiBook 15" 1Ghz/1Gb/10.3.6
imac 800 17"/768Mb/10.3.6

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2001, 09:10 PM

First, it would be better if you had a cheapo hub and NOT a cross-over cable for the connection. That could be all of your problem right there.

This is of deep interest to me because I plan to do the same thing ASAP with a 5400.

There was a defect in the 5200 series that hurt the serial ports, but I don't think that's an issue here.

There's a file on your HD, probably at the root level, called Appleshare PDS. It's hidden, so you'll have to use something like MacArmyKnife or Norton or ResEdit to "unhide" it. Find it, unhide it, and delete it. That may fix one or all of your problems. You may have to redo some of your preferences by opening control panels and stuff, but that might fix it.

There used to be a specific program called LocalTalk Bridge or some such that was used to do what you're talking about. Search around the Apple Web site to see it there's a TIL about that. I imagine that it has been incorporated into the operating system, so if you're running 8 or 8.1 on the 5200, that may not be the issue.

I'd search Apple's Tech Info Library for articles about the 5200 (or 52xx) and serial ports. You may even see if there's a list of software updates at apple or versiontracker that would be needed.

Good luck.
He can be fixed -- you can't.

VRL
Senior User
Mar 9, 2001, 04:24 AM

Big fan of the Axis print server here. We have several Macs and a PC, and with the Axis, all of them can use one Epson 740. (The print server plugs into the parallel port, and is then plugged into an ethernet hub, so it's on the network.) Love it! And I mention it as often as I can

Hope you have much success, whatever you decide to do ...
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2001, 08:13 AM

finboy wrote
"There used to be a specific program called LocalTalk Bridge or some such that was used to do
what you're talking about"

Unless the Epson 740 happens to be a LocalTalk capable printer (I think it is not, but I may be
wrong) Apple's LocalTalk Bridge - as well as it's little brother LaserWriter Bridge - will be of
no use in MacmanUK's case. For connecting a Localtalk-printer to an ethernet network, both of
them work smoothly.

For StyleWriters there is Apple's Printer Share extension which does the same for serial-only
printers. I am using this extension daily with two PPC Macs and one StyleWriter II:

I am not sure but there may also be such a piece of software by Epson for the Mac platform
(might be named something like "Epson share"?).

MacmanUK:
The switching back of AppleTalk to printer port has probably to do with no other Mac present on
the LAN. When you start up the 5200 with the iMac already running this should not occur.

If the 5200 has a built-in Modem, you should remove it (the iMac has a faster one built in,
anyway). See the lowendmac.com pages for details regarding port issues with the Perfoma
5200/6200/6300 series.

Using a little hub instead of the crossover cable, you could connect the 20thAnniversary Mac to the ethernet as well.

Regards,

Walter.

[This message has been edited by Walter J. Ferstl (edited 03-18-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules