Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple Web Sharing

Apple Web Sharing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2001, 12:31 AM

I am using Web Sharing in Mac OS 9.1 to serve web pages off my computer. Several people have access and they have logins to access the pages. From my index page I have a link to a Filemaker database as well as some other links. I use Filemaker Pro's web companion to serve a database on the web. Problem is when people go to the database they can see the port number that FM's web companion is running on. Once they know the port number they can go straight to the database without having to login. Using FM's security set up means people have to login twice : into my web server and then into the FM Pro database.

Is there anyway of masking the port number?

Thanks for any help.

Ilesh

Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2001, 03:01 PM

Embed your database access page in a frame inside a main page which calls the frame from the HTML.

If they search the source code they could find it, but it makes it much harder for the merely curious.

drewman

ilesh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2001, 07:42 PM

Didn't think of that. Works beautifully.

Thank you.

Ilesh

Forum Links
Forum Rules