Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerCenter 150 and Cdrom drive

PowerCenter 150 and Cdrom drive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 03:44 PM

Hi, I just upgraded from OS8.5 to 8.6 on my PowerCenter 150 computer. Now my cdrom drive is not working correctly. It is being recognized in apple system profiler but is not being mounted on the desktop. the cdrom light is on but nothing happens. Does anyone know of any drivers or anything i can do. I really need the cdrom drive up and running as soon as possible.
Thanks.
Geoff

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 04:22 PM

Hey,

Looks like you have the same problem i do. The cd drives in these machines seem to go out after so many hours of use. Mine went out about a 1.5 years ago. Ive seen many people talk about it happening on these message boards. I tried to order an OEM drive from Otherworld computing and had no luck getting it to work so i wouldnt try that. But if you do find another drive that does work let me know.

Good luck,
Greg Palmer

Jul 30, 2001, 07:18 PM

I had this problem just a few days before giving my PowerCenter to my mom. Yeah, basically, the drive just dies and doesn't want to do anything. Solution: change it!

I got a 24X from a company called MACE i believe. Don't forget that it's a SCSI-2 drive. I followed the simple instructions and it worked on rebooting the machine. So, you can say that I was pretty happy. It should work with the FWB tools that come with the computer.

Good luck!
F.
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2001, 01:42 AM

Theoretically, any Apple drive that was manufactured during that time should also work in that system. Of course, the bennifit of using an Apple drive is full compatiblity with the OS and no need for extra drivers or extensions.

I think that a visit to eBay is in order.

Forum Links
Forum Rules