Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 7.6

Mac OS 7.6
Senior User
Aug 5, 2001, 01:51 PM

I was wondering if anyone still had a copy of Mac OS 7.6. I assume its free since most Mac OS 7.X upgrades were free weren't they? If anyone has this could they please send me at ntsc1@mac.com.

Thanks you could really save my bacon!
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2001, 05:45 PM

Only System 7.5.5 is free. What do you need 7.6 for?

Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 01:40 AM

Goto eBay to buy a copy of Mac OS 7.6. It is not very expensive.
http://www.ebay.com

ntsc  (op)
Senior User
Aug 6, 2001, 12:24 PM

i beg your pardon i had assumed that Mac OS 7.6 was a free upgrade . I need the upgrade for a friend of mine. He has a PPC Performa and wanted to get on the net. The installer CD that came from NTL said 'required' Mac OS 7.6.1 to work. I managed to get the .1 part from Apple but i couldn't find the .6 part.

Thanks anyway thats cleared everything up.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Senior User
Aug 6, 2001, 09:20 PM

Who speaks my name? Oh... nevermind...
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2001, 09:50 PM

I have a CD I would be happy to send you since none of my machines are old enough to run 7.6 anymore. I could also burn the 7.6.1 update to a disc for you (I had floppies but threw them away) if it would be too much of a download.

Just post or email me an address, or if you prefer it electronically I could figure out a way to email it to you.

p.s. Caveat emptorů it's not boxed with a manual, though the manual is on the CD in PDF. Just the CD in the jewel case. I don't imagine this would bother you too much for such an old system.

Originally posted by ntsc:
<STRONG>I was wondering if anyone still had a copy of Mac OS 7.6. I assume its free since most Mac OS 7.X upgrades were free weren't they? If anyone has this could they please send me at ntsc1@mac.com.

Thanks you could really save my bacon! </STRONG>
[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: mkincaid ]

ntsc  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2001, 06:05 AM

CRISIS OVER!!

i've managed to obtain a copy of OS 7.6.1. Thanks again to mkincaid for offering his copy!

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2001, 11:30 PM

Actually this user of a PowerPC Performa should be usein 8.6. It is the most stable and does not have as much overhead as everyone think. It requires sill in the install.

7.6 is not free. Apple considers it the last OS that can be used on older systems and hasn't released it for free download. I doubt they will for a few years. You can't get it from the Apple Store, but I'm sure that some fulfulment house of Apple's would be happy to sell it to you.

Anyway, why buy from Apple when you can buy from eBay. I got my copy of 7.6.1, with manuals and retail box for a steal on eBay. It has actually been quite useful many times.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2001, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by jeromep:
<STRONG>Actually this user of a PowerPC Performa should be usein 8.6. It is the most stable and does not have as much overhead as everyone think. It requires sill in the install.</STRONG>
No way! If you're going to use 8.6, go all the way to 9.1. 8.6 was not especially unstable, but 9.1 is much better in my opinion. Remember, any PPC still runs 9.1.

Senior User
Aug 9, 2001, 11:03 AM

OS 9.1 might work on any PowerPC (Performa or not) but the problem will be RAM. Most Performas came with 16 or 32MB, not enough to effectively run 9.1. The price of RAM is so high these days for machines of that era (because hardly anyone makes it anymore) that it might not be cost effective to do it. 8.6 will require less RAM, so it would be the smarter choice. Unless you've already loaded up on RAM and this becomes a pointless discussion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules