Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > dumb duo 2300 question

dumb duo 2300 question
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2001, 07:35 PM

ok so the duo 2300 has a PPC 100Mhz processor in it. in theory it could pay mp3's right? but is is worth it?

is it true that the bigger the bit rate you encode at, the less the processor has to work? 128 as oppose to 192....

GUMBY~
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2001, 10:17 PM

OOoh, I'd like to know. I've got a 2300 sitting around and was thinking it was only good for marginal web use and just small portability for typing and such. I'll be trying it in a bit, but I'm guessing itunes is out of the question.

Anyone know if an MP3 player that supports playlists, but doesn't tax the processor more than it needs to for playlists? I'd love to drop this puppy in my car and then use it for fahrvergnügen!

Anyone... Anyone?

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2001, 11:22 PM

well, in theory you could load OS 9.0 on it or 8.6 and use iTunes. I wouldn't try encoding mp3's with the duo, that would take forever.
4GB RAM
160GB

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2001, 12:30 PM

would you be interested in selling your 2300 to me?
4GB RAM
160GB

Aug 27, 2001, 06:31 PM

I've played MP3's on a 75MHZ Performa 5200, so a 2300 should be fine. OF course you'll have to use a MiniDock to get sound output. I'm not sure whether it has stereo sound output - I know the docking connector supports this, but not whether the chips do (My 230 doesn't).

Aug 27, 2001, 06:42 PM

I'd recommend Sound App as a player.

Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 05:35 PM

Cool. I'll have to configure it for an auto MP3 player. My other option was to have an in-house color photo/mp3 controller. The car audio sounds cooler now that I have a B/W photomac.

See the photomac in the mods forum here.
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=26&t=000533

I haven't taken the time to put together more on this, but there's only so much time to do soo many projects!

<Bugsi@macDOTcom>
Aug 31, 2001, 07:34 PM

I've tried using my duo 2300 as an mp3 player. Yes, I'd recommend SoundApp, but the 2300 is only *just barely* able to play mp3 files without a hassle, if any other process is going on, it will pause while it crunches on the mp3 file. Lots of little pauses here and there. In short, it isn't the ideal system for using as an mp3 player, it's marginal at best.

Forum Links
Forum Rules