Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't Install System

Can't Install System
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2001, 02:51 PM

Hello all

I'm not getting very far...

I was getting a blinking ? on start-up on PowerMAc 6500/300 running OS 8.1 with 64 RAM/6gb HD (EIDE?). System Restore CD would not recognize hard disk to copy system software to, even though it was mounted. Tried Disk Warrior next - it rebuilt the directory and let me copy important files off hard drive to a zip disk but failed on step 10 of 11 to restore hard disk. I inserted original Mac OS 8 CD and initialized my hard disk. Started to install OS 8 and it stopped while "Updating Apple hard disk drivers".

Any ideas as to where I have gone wrong or other suggestions? Should I boot with system disk and try Disk First Aid? I'm sure I'm NOT doing anything wrong but feel I am missing a trick somewhere. I think I probably had an extension conflict or corrupt system folder to begin with and there was probably an easier solution than initialising HD, but...

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Tony Eastwood

Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 05:00 PM

I would run Disk First Aid and if that doesn't work I think you're hard disk is shot.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2001, 10:20 AM

Thanks Capone but I figured out I needed to update the HD driver updater to 1.7.3 (or something like that) before I could go through the initialisatio process successfully. It seems I was trying to 'downgrade' somehow.

All is now well but thanks for your time anyway.

Regards

Tony Eastwood

Forum Links
Forum Rules