Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa 6300 OS upgrade

Performa 6300 OS upgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2000, 07:41 PM

I recently got my Performa 6300CD's motherboard upgraded under Apple's Extension Warranty, in order to be able to upgrade the OS beyond 7.5.5.

I tried installing OS 8.0 from a CD the other day, but got a message saying this wasn't possible on my computer. Should I try to move up to 7.6 first, then to OS 8.5 or 9.0? I have 32 MBs of RAM.

Thanks for any insight.

Seagull
Feb 23, 2000, 12:20 AM

According to the information at http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ma_6300cd.html your Mac can run all of Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9 as well as earlier Mac OS versions. I don't understand why you cannot install Mac OS 8 on your computer.

May be you would like to try the Wish I Were...utility at my page at http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/langua/index.html and see if it could help.

[This message has been edited by Seagull (edited 02-23-2000).]

darkshadow
Feb 23, 2000, 10:50 AM

I also have a performa 6300 and have been running MacOs 8.1 on it for some time.
Had no problems upgrading after they replaced my motherboard.

Only problem, Norton 3.5 ate my hard drive, none of my utilities (Tech Tool Pro, Norton 4, etc...) can see it.

iMacster
Feb 23, 2000, 11:09 AM

I have a Performa 6214CD and have been able to run 8.0, 8.1, 8.5 and 8.6 on it with no problems. I would find out more about that upgrade if I were you!

[This message has been edited by iMacster (edited 02-23-2000).]

Joe K
Feb 23, 2000, 11:22 AM

I've been running Mac OS 8.1 on my 6300CD since September, 1998. It was upgraded directly from System 7.5.1, which was originally bundled with this machine. This machine has all original hardware, except for a memory upgrade to 48 MBytes. I use an external 1 GByte Jaz drive for HD backup and extra file system space.

Bobsie
Feb 23, 2000, 11:23 AM

I've been running System 8.5.1 on my Performa 6300 for over a year now. No problems ever.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2000, 11:43 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll definitely have to investigate the matter further.

Munir

MattGMan
Feb 23, 2000, 12:34 PM

It sounds to me like you are trying to install OS8 from someone's OEM OS disk from another Mac Model. Apple makes sure that you can't take the "install" CD from your newest (or newer) computer and install it on all your macs....that would be wrong, anyway Buy a fresh copy from Small Dog or Shreve Sys (8.1 is preferred, 8.0 is "operationally challenged") and it should work fine.
My .02

Doggzilla
Feb 23, 2000, 01:23 PM

I performed a clean install of System 8.5.1 on my nephew's 6300CD just after they released the updater and it worked perfectly fine. In fact, the disk has even been formatted for HFS+ with no problems whatsoever. The only problems they have had is conflicts caused by some very strange extensions & control panels they have installed since then.

StuartH
Feb 23, 2000, 07:14 PM

I've installed OS 8, OS 8.1 and OS 8.5 (at various times) onto Performa 5200, 5300, 6200 and 6300s that were in the office I was working at at the time, and I've never had any problems with it.

I think MattGMan may have hit the nail on the head in regards to trying to install it from an iMac only disk (picked up the worng CD by accident when I was rebuilding one of the machines and got the same error as you described.) so you should have no problems with a standard OS 8 CD.

Look on the bright side - at the very least, you've a nice new motherboard in your Mac (one of the 5300 boards we had fried itself a few months back... it was a sad sight!!)

duel
Feb 23, 2000, 10:47 PM

I'm running OS9 with no problems on this performa 6214CD.

Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2000, 10:58 PM

a few posts back in this thread someone mentioned that they'd had an HD that was chowed by NUM 3.5... DiskWarrior might fix this sort of thing, it has for me on other peep's Macs...
www.alsoft.com

gordon@sunvalley.net
Feb 24, 2000, 04:24 AM

My mother has a Performa 6124CD or so, and when I installed Mac OS 8.5 on it for her, its performance and responsiveness went down the tubes. (I think it's a lack of graphics acceleration.) Has anyone else had any experience with degraded performance with 8.5+ and Performa 6200 series CPUs?

Darkshadow
Feb 24, 2000, 12:48 PM

A few posts back in this thread someone mentioned that they'd had an HD that was chowed by NUM 3.5... DiskWarrior might fix this sort of thing, it has for me on
other peep's Macs...
www.alsoft.com

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give this a try.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2000, 01:47 PM

Now that the topic has broadened to include other questions about that generation of PowerMacs, I have another question:

What options currently exist for increasing the processor speed for the 6300? I'm not talking G3 upgrades, which I understand can't be done with the 6300, but bumping up to the 200 MHz range. Also, what amount of RAM have you found necessary to run OS 8.5 or 9 on the 6300 or similar models?

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2000, 01:57 PM

good source of info on older Macs, this page is for your Mac: http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/6300.shtml

Banned
Oct 25, 2000, 09:33 PM

I tricked my old 6300. I used my iMac CD (8.6) RESTORE, not install. Then hit restore. The otherone said it wasnt possible on my computer. hehehe. It needs more ram though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules