Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ATi RAGE Orion and SuperMac c500 (240/603ev)

ATi RAGE Orion and SuperMac c500 (240/603ev)
shadez
Feb 24, 2000, 02:13 AM

Well, i got the ATi RAGE Orion card i discussed getting much earlier, and i am having nothing but troubles with the whole thing. firstly, it wouldn't support my monitor when we first installed it. So, i installed OpenGL and the ATi drivers, as ATi suggests be done (note: i had an earlier version of the drivers installed previous to installing the card) Still no luck. after exhausting all my diagnostic utils, i Re-installed system folder (been a while since i'd done that anyhow) and re-installed the drivers. well, it worked, except when i tried to use it for what it was intended (ANYTHING 3D) whenever i tried 3D stuff, BANG! my compuer craps all over itself and dies. So, i finally have it working, but the refresh rate is AWFUL. regardless of what refresh rate/rez i set it at, i still got those annoying lines crawling up the screen... i know i saw at least 1 person here who had that same card installed on the same (r very similar) machine

speeding
Feb 29, 2000, 03:51 AM

I am not sure if your clone has the same motherboard design as the 6500, but I think it is similar enough. Anyway, ATI has recently admitted publicly that the Rage Orion has a 60% failure rate with systems like these, especially if there is an L2 G3 upgrade installed. I did try two Orions on my 6500, with and without my Sonnet L2 G3. They didn't work, even with just the stock 603e and OS 8.6 base extensions! I'd suggest you return the card, if that's still possible. If not, sell it! Good Luck!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2000, 10:07 PM

Well, i sent it back, and now i have my cash back. I've been looking around, and think i am going to for the Micro Conversions VooDoo2/2000

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

speeding
Mar 6, 2000, 12:05 PM

why don't you get 3dfx's V2 instead of MicroConversion's? BTW, 3dfx's V2 drivers work great!

fblood
Mar 7, 2000, 12:23 AM

I agree with Speeding. I have a 12 meg 3Dfx Voodoo 2 1000 card in my SuperMac C500 and it works great. After the $30 mail-in rebate, the card should cost you about $40 new.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2000, 09:07 PM

I am gonna go with a 3dfx V2/2000/16MB

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

speeding
Mar 11, 2000, 03:10 AM

welcome to the V3 world, macopz! : )

Forum Links
Forum Rules