Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 5200 LC/75-Help w/components swaps

5200 LC/75-Help w/components swaps
Senior User
Feb 29, 2000, 10:34 AM

I have an Ultra wide SCSI drive and soon will have a ATAPI CD ROM. I would like to replace the current components of the 5200 w/these.

Right now, its CD-ROM is SCSI, and HD is ATA. Can I attatch the ATAPI to the ATA buss and the UW SCSI to the internal SCSI bus?

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2000, 09:46 AM

Keda,

as to the SCSI side, there are adapters for the ultra wide HD (probably 68 pin connector) to fit the internal SCSI ribbon cable (50 pin style) of the 5200. So you should be able to connect according to form factors, but I am afraid the SCSI bus of the 5200 will not take full advantage of the drive's speed.
With the CD drive, it might be another situation if your replacement drive is not an Apple one (or at least one with an Apple ROM). In this case, you need third party driver software to use it. This way, maybe you end up with a computer that cannot boot off a System CD-ROM.
Hope this helps,

Walter.

The Wolfe
Mar 7, 2000, 03:40 AM

In all seriousness, the UW SCSI drive is probably worth more than the poor 5200 by now. Just put a good ATA drive into it, and save the SCSI drive for a computer more worthy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules