Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Duo 230 won't do much

Duo 230 won't do much
DougMac
Mar 1, 2000, 10:49 PM

Hey all, I was hoping someone could help me (warning: I have limited computer fix-it knowledge)

I have a Duo 230 which boots up fine and is running OS 7.0 or 7.1. I have a problem connecting it to anything - I have a Newer Ethernet MiniDock which seems to work but everytime I try to switch to an ethernet Network it gives me an error and swtich back to LocalTalk so I can't connect to anything.

Worse, I have a DuoDockII and when I plug it all together I get nothing. the fan in the dock turns on but I can't tell if the Duo has turned an, nothing on the screen, no sign of life other than the fan noise.

Wife wants to get rid of it, I at least want to fix it before I sell it... I have changed the PRAM battery (since it was easy), the monitor is tested on a PB540 and works, I took apart the Dock & 230 and cleaned all the dust out... any troubleshooting ideas?

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2000, 01:35 AM

You DuoDock has a common problem. If you listen closely after you turn it on and the fan is spinning you'll hear a slight ticking sound. It's the power supply trying to come up to full power, but can't because a capacitor has failed.

There are sites on the web that tell you which capacitor and how to take apart the power supply. Here is one:
http://members.aol.com/kim/computer/...wersupply.html

If you can solder at all, it's really easy - just make sure to watch polarity.

drewman

DougMac
Mar 12, 2000, 09:12 PM

Thanks - as soon as my local Radio Shack gets in the right $0.30 capacitor, I'll give it a try since I have nothing to lose.

I can't really hear a continuous ticking, just one shortly after I turn it on. The Duo does turn on - I can hear the chime but that's about it. I'm starting to think the Duo is the problem but I'll see what the capicitor does...

Forum Links
Forum Rules