Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Need Help for Quadra 650

Need Help for Quadra 650
sjaptec
Mar 2, 2000, 10:15 AM

We would like to open our Q 650 case to replace the battery. Turned the case over
and pulled off a rubber foot but no case
screws. Then checked last years postings--
nothing. Called Apple and was told the Q 650
service manual was on Internet--went to the
site but couldn't access it. By now very Frustrated!

Any pointers on opening this case, recommended Mac repair books, and how to access Mac online service manuals.

Thanks!

Seagull
Mar 2, 2000, 10:37 PM

Go to http://www.apple.com/support and select Manuals using one of the pop-up menus. The make a search for the manual of your Macintosh.

Tim Michael
Mar 3, 2000, 03:23 PM

The Q650 only has ONE case screw, as I recall, right in the center of the back, at the top. MOst of the time, this has been removed already if possible. Then, I think, there are just latches that are obvious (so obvious that I can't remember how to do it off the top of my head, but I've done it in the last few weeks at home). But, AT WORST, only one screw. Then it slides forward and tilts toward the front and lifts off.

The Wolfe
Mar 7, 2000, 03:33 AM

Oh little Quadra 650, how beautiful art thy....

I had one of these a while back.

It's true, there is only one screw holding the thing together, and it is in back centered on the plastic at the top. Once you screw it loose, it should pop out a little (it's spring loaded), and you simply slide the case forward about a inch and a half, and lift it straight up.

This case design makes absolutely no sence, and I remember struggleing with my PowerMac 7100 (same case design) for hours one night as a tried to take it appart to replace the logic board. I've now seen and experianced it all, so post again if you have further problems.

-Dein

------------------
-Eliott Wolfe

sjaptec
Mar 10, 2000, 11:36 AM

Wolfe, Michael, and Seagull,

Thanks for all the pointers!

With your Help was finally able to get the case off. What I didn't realize was that the
front and center panels are one (thought only the center panel came off--like most VCRs).

PS still have been unable to access the Quadra 650 manual from Apples site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules