Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > hello and HELP ! update......

hello and HELP ! update......
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2002, 05:30 PM

well i got the os9 cd (thank you Q ) and i just picked up the 17" apple studio monitor (blue and white) but now another problem arises! now of course the video cable has a different (smaller) connector on it, i have an adapter that came with the beige g3 when i recieved it so i figured "no problem" i hookup the adapter, and then the monitor, and i start up the computer and the monitor and the monitor button glows green and then red, and i get no picture.....i double checked all the connectors, and the adapter etc... but still no picture and just the green button for the first 5-8 seconds then it glows red and i never get a picture on the monitor. tell me is the monitor bad? or is it a bad adapter? the apple monitor my friend is letting me use in the meantime has the correct size connector on the end of the video cable and works fine so i know it isnt the computer......
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

-Q-
Feb 9, 2002, 05:40 PM

You're welcome. Glad to do it.

I think with the B&W monitors, apple started using the industry-standard VGA connector. Your beige G3 has something called DB-15. You will need an adaptor to use that monitor, but I'm not sure why you're not getting a signal to your monitor.

Does the adaptor you're using have dip switches? Those switches control what resolution is sent to the monitor and enables it to display that resolution type. You may have to find the instructions for that adaptor and fiddle around with the dip switches before you can get a signal. Or you may have to get a new adaptor. I had to do that when my original monitor went out, but it wasn't a very flexible solution (couldn't switch resolutions on the fly which pretty much made game playing impossible, etc.). I ended up putting a Radeon card into an empty PCI slot and it had a VGA connector. So you may want to consider getting a new video card...

suprz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2002, 07:00 PM

well, there are no switches on the adaptor, but on the side of the adaptor imprinted into the plastic is "640x480 / 832x624 / 1024x768" i'll go out tomorrow and see about another adaptor. i was just hoping the monitor wasnt bad.
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

suprz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2002, 07:50 PM

just another update, i re-tried the monitor and at least this time i got a "flicker" on the screen (for half a second) before the button turned red. and when i reconnected the other monitor back up to the computer after a shutdown. the screen was shifted a little bit over to the right. and then it quickly recovered and went back to normal. (i played with the resolutions in the monitor control panel and i got the same results when switching to a higher HZ..???) so i guess the monitor was trying to change the settings?? anyone know ?? i'll still go out a get a new adaptor tomorrow, but i was just wondering

suprz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 04:15 PM

well, i got a new adaptor and it works!! my only complaint is that the adaptor cost 52.00$....oh well, it all evens out when you consider what i got for free.....

-Q-
Feb 11, 2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by suprz:
<STRONG>well, i got a new adaptor and it works!! my only complaint is that the adaptor cost 52.00$....oh well, it all evens out when you consider what i got for free.....</STRONG>
Glad it worked out Suprz. Enjoy the new, low-cost Mac!

suprz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2002, 05:51 PM

thank you to everyone that replied and to "Q" for all your help and for the OS9 cd. (now, if my keyboard and mouse ever get here!) but i'm sure you havent heard the last of me, i know i'll have plenty more questions.......

Forum Links
Forum Rules