Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Airport possible?

Airport possible?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2002, 07:58 AM

Hi, anyone who has managed to connect a Powerbook 1400 to an Airport network? If so, which cards/devices, what OS etc.

And what about an old Powermac 7500? It has an USB-card, but I havent been able to find any USB airport devices with Mac drivers...

Sol24

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2002, 11:36 AM

Although I have not tried either... there are several third party PCI cards that are Airport compatible for your 7500, and several makers of PC cards that are also Airport compatible for the 1400. I haven't had any experience with either of these, but it seems as if it would be possible.

Cheers!
Chris

Feb 17, 2002, 06:50 PM

I've used the Farallon Skyline card in a Pismo laptop for over a year, and it works with my airport basestation. I don't know if the 1400 has a PCMCIA slot, but if it does, there are plenty of wireless cards out there that would work. Orinco and the Skyline card are the two I know work (Farallon has been bought out by Proxim, just fyi)

For the 7500, Proxim has a PCI card adapter for its skyline card, and that would seem a likely solution.

Check with Linkysys about the wireless/usb solution they have. Note, that Linksys deviced do NOT SUPPORT APPLETALK, which may cause you issues.

ST
If its already broken, how can I mess it up by trying to fix it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules