Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing Ram on a 8500/150

Installing Ram on a 8500/150
Jul 27, 2000, 12:37 PM

Hi, I found some RAM in my closet. It's 32 MB, how wonderful I thought. One problem is that I do not know if it will work with my system. The documentation that came in the box says that it is a 32MB DIMM, sounds good so far, but I am not sure about the voltage, or if that even matters. On the board itself is written:
Samsung
32 MB RAM, 50NS
372V400AL
94V-0
What would happen if I just installed it into my PPC 8500/150 and it ended up not being the right kind? Any info about this would be great.
Thanks!!

Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2000, 05:48 PM

check the Apple RAM guide found here: http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_A rea/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/memguide.pdf

actually, the guide doesn't say much...if it isn't the right kind, chances are, you won't be able to boot or have massive instability as a result...but from the spec you've provided, it 'should' work fine...goodluck

[This message has been edited by Evangellydonut (edited 07-27-2000).]
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2000, 10:15 PM

Worst case scenario, incompatible RAM will cause your computer to crash at startup. No permanent damage; just pull the RAM and all's well.

RobertScott
Jul 28, 2000, 11:55 AM

The recommended DIMMs for PowerMac 8500 / 9500 series is 168-pin, 5 volt, 2k refresh, FPM (fast page mode). You can also use 5 volt EDO memory with no ill results.

Some EDO DIMMS were rated at 3.3 volt and used in the Performa Power Macs, ie 6400, 6300 etc. Using a DIMM rated for 3.3 in a 5 volt slot make cause it to get fried at the worst or crash the computer. I don't think that would cause any motherboard damage, but I don't have any formal electrical training either. If you can confirm it is a 5 volt DIMM I would use it.

By the way never use EDO DIMMS in a PowerMac 7200, 7300 (maybe 7500/7600 as well) or a clone (PowerCurve, PowerCenter / PC Pro) based on the same motherboard. That can cause motherboard damage according to an Apple TIL that I read.

You can give a it try or better yet sell it on eBay. 32 MB or + DIMMs for old PowerMacs are going for $1.50 - 3.00 per MB. List is in the general PC memory (not Apple specific). Chances are a PC geek will be able to decipher the codes on the DIMM. Then use the extra cash to buy a 65 MB DIMM that you know is compatible.

[This message has been edited by RobertScott (edited 07-28-2000).]

fnevitt  (op)
Jul 28, 2000, 02:36 PM

Thanks to all that posted a reply. After hearing that the RAM wouldn't hurt the motherboard I went to put it in. That is where I ran into my first problem. The notches at the bottom of the RAM board did not line up right with the notches in the RAM slots, off by about 2 mm. So I did a little handy work and got them to fit in. First I just put in 1 RAM board, started the comp. up and all worked fine. So, then I put in the remaining three RAM boards and started the comp up, ran into problems. Seems like the Mac OS 9 extentions don't like the memory. My mac is pretty useless without at least the basic extensions on. So I shut down the computer and went to bed. It was late. I must be getting old, used to be that it didn't matter what time it was, I always was wide awake to work on my Mac. Who knew that at age 20 you would be dragging your feet into bed at 10:00pm.

[This message has been edited by fnevitt (edited 07-28-2000).]

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2000, 04:36 PM

DIMMS are "keyed" using those notches. If they don't fit, then they won't work. I tried the same "modification" a while back and although the Mac didn't crash, the RAM didn't show up in About this Mac...

fnevitt  (op)
Jul 28, 2000, 11:37 PM

Hello All- Well I was able to fix my Mac. I had to keep the origional factor RAM in the first slot, the A4 abd B4, and was able to put the remaining in the other slots, works like a charm (knock on wood) now. I have a total of 240 MB of RAM!! This computer has never felt so good!

Thanks again for everybodies help!

[This message has been edited by fnevitt (edited 07-28-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules